1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So it's official, I need a new HV battery. Help with options, please...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cloud4310, May 28, 2014.

1. cloud4310

cloud4310 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi there everyone,

I have a 2006 with 91K on it.

I posted about some problems I was having the other day and I ended up having the car towed to the dealer.
    Just got the call from my dealer. The HV battery in my car is dead. Here are the codes.

P3000 - hybrid battery malfunction
    CO200
    C0205
    C1259
    C1310
    P0A80
    P3015

They said it was battery block 5, cell 5 that was bad and also said that I need to have the filter for the hybrid battery cooling fan replaced. Total cost with labor is 4,111.03. I feel like throwing up.

The car is 5 months out of warranty. Does anyone have experience with reaching out to toyota on this? I haven't even hit 100K yet.

What if I sold the car for parts?

Do I have any other options for replacing the battery?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    #2 usnavystgc, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    imwoody36 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first thing to do is ask the service advisor for help from toyota. if he turns you down, go directly to toyota. they have been very helpful to many here. if that doesn't work, try the links above from usnavystgc. you shouldn't need to spend more than one or two thousand for a rebuilt battery.

4. cloud4310

cloud4310 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I'm talking to toyota now. The car is 4 months and 7 days out of warranty. They said that they would do more research and call me back but basically once the car was out of warrranty, it was out.

Good to know I have some alternatives. I'm just outside of DC, in Maryland. If anyone has recommendations for an independent battery installer, that would be great. I wouldn't want to try to do something like this myself.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it's a difficult and dangerous diy for a novice. you may want to start contacting some local AAA garages.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hybrid Auto Repair Shop in Washington, D.C. | Hybrid Battery Replacement

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good one!(y)

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Cloud...I see you are in Washington DC.
    The first thing to consider is Hillmuth in MD where you can get a Dorman replacement battery probably for $2000.
    To see a list of Dorman repair centers, go to Re-Involt.com

The second thing to consider are these guys, but we do not have much feedback about it.

The Hybrid Shop in Gainesville VA, Alexandria VA | Curry's Auto Service

If you want to sell it, I do not really recommend it ( you probably have a nice car), but there is a possibility that it has more value in MD where they have a 10-yr CARB wrranty on the battery. This gets complicated as it is unclear if the CARB warranty applies to a 2006 in MD. Someone might tell you "NO way" but unless really they know what they are talking about, I would be open to think it might be under warranty in MD.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cloud if you are in MD, if it was me, I would be looking for someone to explain clearly to me why the extended CARB warranty would not apply. I am under the impression many 2006 models like mine are CA-certified (even if purchased in a non-CARB state). I would be pushing back on any suggestion CARB does not apply on a 2006 in MD, unless someone had some expert information. I would take this up with Toyoya or a more reputable dealer (not knowing where you are going now),

10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you can get it to Dean Good at goodtou.com in Akron, PA you would likely be in good hands. That is where I plan to take mine when it needs a battery, but mine is still doing well at 197,000.

PA P

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #11 Mendel Leisk, May 28, 2014
  12. cloud4310

cloud4310 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, that's interesting about the CARB - I was told that by the dealer it only applied to 2007 and on models. Is there someone I can reach out to on this other than the dealer?

Thanks for all the suggestions - checking them out now.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's curious, as the hybrid battery cooling system doesn't actually have a filter? That's one of the problems with the cooling system design, no filter and the cooling fan often gets clogged with debris.

14. cloud4310

cloud4310 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My bad - I looked back at my notes -they said clean the fan not a filter.

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the clarification cloud, that makes more sense.

Yes it's a particular problem with the HV battery that there's no filter on the cooling system and originally there was no service schedule at all on cleaning the fan (though some dealers are wising up to it now). The result is that a lot of people are driving around with very poorly performing cooling on the battery and this is no doubt contributing to some of the failures we're now seeing.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kinda closing the barn door after the cows have escaped, but: I put a piece of vacuum motor filter behind the fan inlet. Check it periodically. Doesn't seem to impact air flow appreciably, it's quite open weave. Does catch some stuff, so far not much.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To qualify for the extended CARB warranty, at least 2 conditions must be met:
    (1) The car must be currently registered in CARB state (MD since 2007)
    (2) The car must be CARB-certified (California compliant version of the car)
    (3) some folks say Toyota has some other interpretations - your car's age is before the clear language of Items 1 and 2 was adopted

Item (2) is the fuzzy requirement in your case (in my mind). My 2006 (purchased in VA) has a sticker under the hood which implies it is CA-compliant. The other clue that my 2006 Prius might be CARB-certified, is that my 2006 is exempt from emissions inspections in northern Virginia, whereas (some?) 2007 Prii do have to get the emissions tested in VA.

Basically someone needs to run your VIN number and advise you if you have a CARB certified vehicle. Sounds like Toyota gave you a fuzzy answer, which in my mind this is a fuzzy case. It is also possible you car is CARB-certified, but Toyota may have some internal rules (Item#3) which are more strict than other companies (eg; FORD).

>>What I would do is try to contact the biggest Toyota dealers service shop in MD (some big dealers seem to be more "in" with Toyota). I am thinking the likes of Fitzgerald Auto Mall, maybe DarCars, maybe Antwerpen. Call them tell them you have a 2006 and you want to know if CARB battery warranty applies for your speciifc vehicle (give VIN no). See what they say. If they say it doesn't apply, I would ask how they determined that answer. If it was me, I'd be asking how they know my vehicle is not CARB-certified, or if so, why that doesn't matter. (for example if your car was purchased in CA it would be CARB-certified, so unless they check VIN they have no way to know that ). If you already working with a major dealer, try another one just to see if you get the same answer. My approach would be to tell them Toyota ain't getting the work unless it is under warranty. I would just say I am going to Dorman or other...Toyota are too expensive. This way the dealer has the incentive to get Toyota to cover the repairs and of course the dealer makes the money off of Toyota doing warranty service. And I would also be asking Toyota the same questions.

The other background research I like to do on hybrid battery warranty questions, is to ask the question: How would FORD handle this same case in Maryland? For example, let's say you had bought a 2006 FORD Escape Hybrid in Maryland. I find the FORD hybrid warranty language/rules to be less fuzzy than Toyota's. So far I have not found a copy of the FORD 2006 warranty. If we knew the answer to how FORD handles the same case, that may or may not help.

UPDATE: I found the FORD 2006 Hybrid warranty and it seems to clearly state the hybrid warranty applies if the (1) the car is certified for sale in CA, and (2) if it is registered in a CARB state. I do not think the Toyota warranties ever get around to stating that clearly, but my assumption is the same rules apply for Toyota.

#17 wjtracy, May 28, 2014
  18. Houston Hybrids

Houston Hybrids Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you tried calling corporate hq and asking about a goodwill replacement? I have had a few people who've called in (and had more miles and years on their cars) get help from Toyota. I think its worth a shot before you spend any money. Sometimes they will not pay the full amount for the battery replacement, but they will cover the cost of the battery and you have to pay labor. Also, I have seen them pay for a flat 50% of the total cost. Hope this helps,
    Jessica

19. theshark

theshark Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any update? I'm in the same boat with the hybrid battery.

20. cloud4310

cloud4310 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all! Thanks very much for all the replies and advice. I did get a call back from Toyota and they offered to cover 50% of the replacement. I went for it and now have a happily running car (and a much lighter wallet).