1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So there was a big sporting event over the weekend.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, Feb 1, 2015.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, there was. And it wasn't the Superbowl.

It was some proper football. Where people use a ball and their feet. Not hand-egg, as 2K1Toaster brilliantly described the other sport.

It was the Asian Cup Final. And I went! I took my daughter.

The stadium was full - 76,300 in the crowd, plus 8,000 or so dignitaries, media, corporates and other people who'd blagged their way in. I'd say more than 10,000 of the crowd was Korean, and the rest were, unsurprisingly, Australian. The atmosphere was brilliant, and we had a fantastic night.

And we won. Which helped, obviously.

I'm not sure which of these will work and which will be geoblocked, so I'll attach links to a few highlights packages.

Minute-by-minute text commentary (read from the bottom):
    Asian Cup final: Australia 2-1 South Korea (aet) – as it happened | Football | The Guardian
    There's also a good 4-minute video highlight package there.

Another text report with video highlights
    Socceroos take Asian Cup from South Korea with extra-time winner

And a couple of just video packages

A 20-minute one if you have time on your hands:

And a 3-minute one if you don't.

The crowd were great. The atmosphere was fantastic. And the game itself was incredibly tight and extremely exciting. It was a perfect introduction to football for my daughter. She got very into the World Cup on TV last year. And she really enjoyed going to Uzbekistan v N Korea and Australia v Oman this month. But for her to be there watching Australia win its first-ever major trophy with a capacity crowd was really very special. She's been talking about it ever since. And so, if I'm honest, have I.

Oh, and here are a couple of pictures from where we were sitting (these are just random crowd shots - I've kept my daughter out of these ones, obviously.)
    IMG_20150131_195320.jpg IMG_20150131_195423.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, no. the new england patriots win their fourth Super Bowl in 15 years. that was the only game of the weekend.:)

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm delighted that the folks over on the other side of the IDL had a decent sporting event to watch.

Me?
    I'd rather have a colonoscopy without being anesthetized than be forced to watch a soccer match.
    It's faster AND less painful, and I might get some decent doctor's office music to listen to rather than the same old lame anti-football jokes from people who can't be contented by watching their own sporting events without some LDS inspired mission trip to convert the poor unwashed savages who haven't "been saved yet."

I'm not much of an American football fan, but I've watched both kinds of football matches from bell to bell.
    If I were forced to buy season tickets attend matches and actually have to watch the games---say as an alternative to water-boarding or an enhanced interrogation session, I'd chose football over "futbol."

Put the tracks in my neighbor's mailbox, please.
    My Sundays are already spoken for.

:)

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How can they be patriots? They're named after a place that's named after a country that its residents betrayed!

New England Insurgents would have been a better name.

Surely if you're choosing the colonoscopy for speed, you'd be better off with soccer than American football? 90 minutes vs, what, five hours?

This is why I have never understood the appeal of cricket. 5 days is ridiculous for a game.

fuzzy1 and Trollbait like this.
  5. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And you have the gall to call yourself an Australian!! 5 days of play with a tied result - what a game! The last test match between India and Australia was fantastic - wish I was able to watch it, but driving the taxi forced me to just listen to it on the radio.

If you don't like the long form of the game, have a look at the Cricket World Cup over the next month. Down to an 8 hour game. Should be great.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and i thought 4 hours of baseball was a snoozefest.:p

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's only that long because of mandatory breaks for the commercials.
    Soccer leagues for children are quite common here. The lack of time to sell stuff dampens its appeal later in life.

After having it explained to me, cricket sounds like a game I'd like to play. In that manner it is like baseball; more fun to play than to watch.

8. Bob-blehead

Bob-blehead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    hkmb,

My youngest son would totally agree with you regarding your opinion about soccer. He calls soccer "real man's football," though he will actually watch a football game. He just likes soccer much more. Glad to hear that your experience was a positive one with the win.

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have my citizenship yet: if I get time, I'm going to do the test this year. I do worry that the fact that I don't like cricket will count against me. That, combined with the fact that I don't like tomato sauce on my pies, may, I think, lead to an automatic fail.

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, yes. Those long commercial breaks are definitely the key to American football's success.

The final stages of the Asian Cup were actually shown on free-to-air, State-run television with no commercial breaks. Hard to believe, I know.

I know soccer is very popular with kids in America. My best friend from school lives in LA, and has two young sons who seem to spend their entire lives playing soccer. My friend got dragged in to coach because he's British and knows the rules. However, this got awkward for him when Cruz Beckam joined the team. He'd ask my friend for advice, and my friend would say "ummm..... Maybe you should ask your Dad."

11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your son is right.

And yes, it was a lovely, positive experience for my daughter.

I grew up supporting Celtic, who were, at the time, quite good. The first game I ever went to was when I was about five or six. We were playing St Mirren, who, at the time, were crap (they still are). St Mirren won 4-1. I cried so much on the bus back from the game that I threw up. So I'm glad she didn't have to go through that.

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on how old your son is, and on what your attitude is to swearing in films (the Dutch coach swears a fair bit), you might want to watch "Next Goal Wins" with your son.

It's a documentary about American Samoa, the worst national football team in the world (they lost 31-0 to Australia), and its attempts to become not the worst team in the world. It really takes you back to what football - and sport as a whole - should be about. It's incredibly inspiring, and carries a fantastic message.

I assume it's available on Netflix and stuff in the US: I saw it on a plane. It looks like it's available on iTunes and Google Play.

Honestly, it's probably my favourite documentary ever. The official film website is Home | NEXT GOAL WINS.

#12 hkmb, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!:p