1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar panel

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by tgpii, Mar 7, 2014.

1. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone hook a solar panel to the batter pack to help charge the batteries? :rolleyes:
    Solar panel

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Any solar panel that you can carry around in the Prius C would not pay for itself in the energy it generated. I takes more gas to haul around the solar panel. So it comes out to be a net loss.

3. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I seen mini panels on some cars.

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    those mini panels are for the 12v battery.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have one in front of me right now. It's rated at 1.8 Watts/ 125mA @ 15 Volts

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i charge my pip from a parasol panel. it's fast, easy and convenient. why doesn't everybody?

7. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 15w solar panel. It's for the 12v system. I use it on my Scirocco during the winter to keep it's battery charged. When the summer comes, I'll switch the panel into the Prius, because it won't be driven every day.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For interested folks, please mention how you hook it up so that it actually provides some charge. The 12v power outlets, formerly known as 'cigarette lighter' sockets, are switched off when most modern cars (including Prius) are shut down. The solar panel charger may happily go on lighting up its status indicator without providing anything to the battery.

koipond likes this.
  9. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In the Scirocco, I have an add-on 12v power socket and a fuse panel that are on constant battery power, so I just plugged it into that.

The solar panel also came with other ends - they end in battery clamps, and just bare wires.

I hooked up the bare wires to ring terminals, and attached them directly to the 12v battery in the Prius C under the back seat.

10. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Note, if you have tinted windows, the solar panel is not going to work nearly as well inside the car.

11. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Very true. Another option that I'm thinking about is going with a 14w Streamlight SolarStream panel - which is designed to stick on the roof of a car and is intended to be permanent. It's adhesive and flexible, you can drive around with it on, and it can be in the weather.

Streamlight SolarStream™ Series - Streamlight SolarStream™ | Streamlight

The difficulty with this option is finding a way to route the cable into the cabin. Might be possible into the rear hatch near the spoiler, or through the antenna base.

12. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey there. (Prius C 2014 trim 3 owner).
    This solar panel addition has been on my mind for a while now. I would just like one to charge the phone or other small device instead of getting the juice from the cig lighter like i'm doing now. Just trying to free up as much as I can off the car's electrical system. I would really like to find a small solar panel that's thin, flexible, and would fit right on the sunroof glass from the inside. The 2 issues that may be troublesome would be:
    1. Mounting the solar panel so that it doesn't effect sliding the sunroof open or closed at the same time ensuring wires aren't caught in the sliding mechanism.
    2. How to run the wire from the solar panel down into a usable cabin area without it looking horribly tacky. I can't think of a way around the idea of seeing a black wire sticking out of my sunroof and running along the gray roof fabric till it gets to the A-frame molding where I can start hiding the wire. :confused:
    Anyway...I guess my main question to everyone is this...does anyone know of a flex solar panel that would fit nicely over that sunroof?

13. michael.sfo

michael.sfo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Is it worth it to add the weight of the solar panel & related equipment in order to eliminate the phone charging power draw?

CSuirp likes this.
  14. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your comment Mike. Not entirely sure...but I'm just thinking out of the box to help reduce power from the battery to charge peripheral things that aren't critical. There are flexible solar panels out there that are pretty light. The link below is just an example of the flex panels. It's like 6 pounds with 160watt output. Of course finding one to fit near the exact size of the prius c sunroof glass will be a challenge...but I imagine it would be even lighter that 6 pounds (although less wattage output due to size reduction). Adhering it to the glass seems straight forward but running the cables down into the cabin in a way that's not tacky looking seems to be a more daunting task, as well as not catching them in the sunroof as it slides open.
    160 Watt Flexible Solar Panel | Renogy Solar

michael.sfo likes this.
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll stop myself from saying that it's not going to work, but this is going to be a very challenging project.

Why not just carry a rechargeable battery pod? they're easy to get in every size, you can charge it at home to keep the load off the car, and you'd have the option to charge it off the car if you got stuck, and if you got a certain type you could also use it to boost/jump the car.

Sure, a few less cool-points but you can buy it off the shelf, they generally just work, and you'd get back days of your life not spent on wiring, rain leaks, snagproofing and so forth.

michael.sfo and CSuirp like this.
  16. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You're absolutely right Leadfoot...and that was my first decision to get the portable fold up panels that I can take anywhere. The mind started thinking after that decision since they make such flexible panels these days and my sunroof is in direct sunlight much of the day. I was curious to see if someone exploited that concept and made it work. Having it on the inside of the sunroof tucked away and nicely integrated with the inside of the car seems so appealing in my minds eye, although I think you're right that it may be a pretty big undertaking to find the right size and hide the wires.

17. LnG

LnG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I don't know about hooking up to the battery itself...either the 12 volt under the hood or the hybrid under the rear seat?

As far as panels go you can get a semi flexible 100watt or 150 watt panel on the roof, but I would silicon it down and see if you can run the cable through the fin. Thats what I plan to do. I have been testing panels on my Camry for the last year. The harbor freight kit, windy nation semi flexible, and the mighty max :)

I would really like to see something else evolve with panels but its not here yet. The amorphous panels are the best but it is hard to find the panels that are not super long and thin. Size and weight wise something like a windy nation panel would work on the roof ( WindyNation 100 Watt 12V Flexible Solar Panel with Monocrystalline Solar Cells ).

How it would work with the hybrid system I'm not messing with.

CSuirp and masterC like this.
  18. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Hi LnG. Yeah...as tempting the concept is to have a solar panel aid in sending juice to either the backseat battery or the 12 volt under the hood is way too risky and beyond my capability. The only other option would be just to have the panel for accessories (ie, phone charge, etc). I looked at that WindyNation panels before and that's the idea...something flexible and thin to fit right in that sunroof spot. I have to look into the Harbor Freight kit too...but, to tell you the truth...if someone is going to do the hard work on installing a solar panel and running those cables to be hidden...i'm not going with Harbor just because I need something a bit more guaranteed not to fail in time. I bought things from Harbor before and sometimes it's a hit or miss. Technology is at the point of creating clear square solar panels that absorb not the UV rays but another wave length (forgive me for my ignorance in the details). Those clear panels are $$ and not perfected to absorb as much energy as the UV does...but it's getting there. Clear panels on the inside of a non-tinted sunroof sounds so good. Lightweight and aesthetically pleasing. I think we'd all like to see the test panels you tried out already and whatever progress you made.

BTW...you mentioned running the cable through the fin...u mean running the solar panel cables through the roof to where the antenna is, then hopefully down into the cabin somehow? Just trying to get a clear picture of what you have in mind. Clarify that again? thanks!

19. LnG

LnG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'll be able to show you better when I get the car in and go looking around.

If you are seldomly charging a phone or speaker I don't think you need a solar system. A laptop and other random stuff ok - I totally get that.

I don't have a sun roof on this car to account for but I do want to think about adding rails. If there are different solar cells out there, esp. clear ones I want to look into it. I would like to see the panels of the cars have solar cells but stability is most important. What I did, and it was just a temporary set up because I knew I was getting a new car, but, I ran the cables through the sun roof (the window closed and tilted fine) and behind the panels to the solar controller. I'll have to dig up some photos.

If I do it on this car which I most likely will...I don't think I could be without an extra battery for my laptop...I want it to be well planned out, hidden and permanent. If that fin already has a hole it is covering then that is the best place to run the cables through and behind a panel in the back. I have to think about battery (if I want to get a new one or use what I have), battery size and where it will be held in place so it isn't moving around.

It can be an expensive hobby, especially if you are buying retail! There are parts in addition the larger pieces that are just as important...the hardware, the cables attached the panel also need extension cables (MC4), you want good battery cables (the correct size and length), a decent battery, charge controller and a good solar panel. You also have to know how much/watts needed/ how often you will be charging, where you will be charging (how much light you will be getting), which will help you determine what battery and panel you need to be comfortable.

With regular cars you could do dual charging from the alternator. It believe it is flipped in the hybrid to charge the battery so that was smart. I don't think I would want to tie into that system at all. Just because I'm not willing to risk my car. :) a donated car, a junk yard find, ok - but not my main car.

Attached: I bought this cable (battery to solar charge controller) and so far it works well.

Attached Files:

CSuirp likes this.
  20. LnG

LnG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I was looking into a lockable tote for the batteries....like this guy did, although his tote is larger than needed. Does anyone know how deep the back cargo space is to be level? is it flat with the foam removed or molded? Thinking maybe get a custom box built so that it replaces the space with a lid that locks. The thing about the glove box that bothers me...there is no LOCK! Glove boxes should all have locks!

NVM- found some photos here.

I like c4's work here: (photo attached; Replacement for foam over spare tire | PriusChat ). Just add a lock and change the mesh with a full sheet and some hinges. (y)

Attached Files:

#20 LnG, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    CSuirp likes this.