1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar powered moonroof Impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by scooper11, Aug 3, 2009.

1. scooper11

scooper11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ordered a Prius IV with a solar powered moon roof. Delivery expect 8/7 - 8/14!! Pros and Cons please.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The open roof impresses everyone. Of course, even closed seeing the light come in from above is great too. Being able to check the status of the roof-rack simply by looking up is handy too. And I absolutely love opening being able to open up the car so much for cooling down after rollerblading.

Some have commented that the solar venting isn't as effective as they'd like. The outside temp rarely gets blazing hot (above 95 F) in the north. So here in Minnesota, I'd say it does the trick.

1 person likes this.
  3. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Scooper11, Welcome to PriusChat and good luck with your order. I have had my Prius IV with the solar roof for about three weeks; I've parked in the outside under the Colorado sun for several hours on a couple of occasions. I have not tested the effectiveness of the solar panel; I have positive impressions about the solar panel effectiveness.

Today, I was parked for two hours, at noon, outside, with no shade. The car was close enough to the outside temperature, 95 degrees, that when I got into the car I didn't notice any discomfort. The car did not feel like it was broiling and none of the interior (steering wheel, handles shifter, or buttons) with one exception. When I removed the sunshade from the windshield, it was almost too hot to handle.

In the short time I have had my Prius, I have been happy with my decision to get the Solar Roof option. --TK

1 person likes this.
  4. ramolnar

ramolnar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's been relatively cool this summer in Kentucky, but I have noticed the fan running and cooling on warm, sunny days. The steering wheel has never been hot to the touch. Still, it's a fan, not AC. Do you know the difference between a fan in a warm apartment and AC? It's like that.
    One bonus is that the package comes with remote AC. The smart thing is to leave the fan on, then as you're walking up hit the remote AC. The extra minute will help.

As for the sunroof part, well, that's just cool. The wind is nice, as is the light.

Is it worth $3600, since you have to get Nav and remote camera? It depends. I would have preferred the solar fan/AC/sunroof separately for $1800. The big factor, I think, is how you take heat. Massachusetts is relatively cool, so there would be less value there, and I might not have gotten it if I were in Allston or Watertown.

1 person likes this.
  5. frobie

frobie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Beware I dont think the sunroof kicks in if you dont lock the doors. I was at a party over the weekend and left the car unlocked so people I drove could get their stuff without needing me to unlock the car and it was boiling everytime it was opened. Any time I have locked the doors since then it has kicked on and you can feel the fan going when you get in up until you hit the power button

1 person likes this.
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Also, the Remote-A/C is a really "cool" feature.

1 person likes this.
  7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am sold on mine. We just completed a record breaking heat wave here in Portland, and is has been so great to have the relatively cool interior. I always use the feature in conjunction with slightly cracking the sun roof and windows and a front windshield heat sheild.

1 person likes this.
  8. grahamy

grahamy New Member

Model:
    III
    Living in North Carolina, I find it's worth it, though if you expect the car to be cool in the summer, you'll be disappointed. The biggest pro is avoiding the extreme internal heat that that can harm electronics, film, wine, etc. Also I no longer yelp at controls too hot to touch when I get in. Another pro is the sense of spaciousness when the roof is open - even if only to the light. The cons are cost (of course) and the need to change the cabin filter more frequently. I do not believe mpg is a con, but this isn't a scientific observation. It's just the fact that averaging about 10 mpg more in my new 2010 over my old 2004, it's very hard to believe the solar roof can have any significant negative impact.

1 person likes this.
  9. tasogare

tasogare New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought Plasmacluster filters didn't need to be replaced as frequently. Does the solar ventilation system fan use the Plasmacluster filter anyway? If it doesn't then this isn't really an issue.

1 person likes this.
  10. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    northern virginia and glad i bought the roof

the roof looks baddass opened up, especially against a lighter color (i have blizzrd pearl).

the solar thing works as advertised, for me

1 person likes this.
  11. 2010prius

2010prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just picked mine up yesterday!!! But So far I love it. My Prius brought the sun to my house so I know the Solar cooling works nice.

12. Maineiac

Maineiac Monkey Wrencher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And besides, it does wonders for flatulence, your passengers will appreciate it. Oh! Or is that what you meant by "badd***"?:eek:

(Sorry, Fred, I couldn't resist. Looking forward to playing with our pearl IV w/roof, due in a few days - and we've finally got some SUN to go with the roof!)

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Couldn't be happier with mine. It's just too danged hot here to have it open during the day right now but I open at night all the time. It is fab to not have the blast furnace in your face after sitting in the sun for a couple hours. It will be even better when my new sun shield come from PriusChat Shop.
    I had this whole construction crew looking and pointing at my silver and black beauty! So there is a "look what I've got" mentality there.

1 person likes this.
  14. scooper11

scooper11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I received an e-mail from the dealer today. My Prius should arrive in a few days. I can not wait!!!

15. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congratulations Scooper and :welcome:

I love, love the sunroof. I'm very glad I waited and worked to get it. It is surprisingly wide and surprisingly quiet when opened. The solar panel cooling has worked nicely to keep the air circulating instead of having the car sizzle in the sun.

I'm sure you'll be pleased!

PS - Yay! another Mass-prius

1 person likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then lock the doors and don't let anyone in for 10 mins until the fan kicks in. After that, it'll stay on until you power on the car or go to IG-ON mode.

1 person likes this.
  17. abs&geno

abs&geno New Member

Model:
    IV
    I just ordered a Prius IV with a solar roof. I'm in the market for some kind of bike rack and was hoping someone could give me a little advice...

(1) Do you notice a drop in MPG with your roof rack?

(2) Did you consider a hitch rack? And do you know if a hitch rack would negatively impact mpg?

(3) Whay kind of rack (roof or hitch) do you recommend?

(4) And lastly, do you recommend any brands or models?

Thanks so much!

18. frobie

frobie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks I will do that next time. Any idea if that is something that is configurable?

19. jefwoe

jefwoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So far the pros are that it's the closest thing you can get to a convertible in this car. I really love it and use it a lot... mind you I have had a lot of sun this summer. I just got my car about a month ago, and I haven't seen the cons so far.

1 person likes this.
  20. seadub

seadub New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I really can't say I've noticed any difference with the solar option. I don't think I've even actually caught the fans at work.

The main reason I got the sunroof is because I live in Southern CA and it's nice to look up and see blue sky. The roof has been open everytime I drive the car.

The feature that's best in this car, IMHO, is the remote AC. Just hit the button and cool the car down before you get in... fantastic! And this feature really works well. Of course, it gets really hot where I live so any shift in inside temperature can be noticeable.

Now I'll have to sit around and wait to see if I can catch the solar at work.

1 person likes this.