1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar roof & MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Oskar, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My first post here, and once I get that Prius hope to contribute more. Am currently looking for a used 2013 Prius Four with moonroof, or a new 2014.

My question is if adding a moonroof/solar package will affect MPG. I've read that it adds extra weight to the vehicle and am wondering if that is enough to lower mpg. Would appreciate any comments on this. Thanks.

PS: Will post other questions in appropriate forums as I gear up to buy a Prius.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota did not retest with a moon roof (or with 17 inch tires) and no owner is likely to be involved in testing so accurate and repeatable as to measure a difference. (owners can, and have, noted differences with different tires and wheels)

So I think the answer is no one knows, and because no one knows, the difference can not be large.

3. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oskar, if you look at a side by side image of a Prius with, and without the moonroof, you will notice that the solar roof is more flat.

It's not just the added weight, but also the change in aerodynamic shape that will negatively impact fuel economy. The larger 17" wheels have also been shown to get less MPG. The MPG penalty is likely pretty low.

4. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Appreciate the responses. I became curious about this when I read that the solar package is not offered with the Prius 5 (not the station wagon V) because it would make the car heavier. I assumed part of not offering it is that it would affect mpg. Perhaps I'm wrong. Interesting that there's no data on this.

5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know the reason for not offering solar on the 5 package, but MPG isn't the only concern. The vehicles suspension, handling, and available payload are all affected by how heavy the car is. It very well could have been a safety reason that the solar roof was omitted on the 5.

There are several reasons I am specifically avoiding the solar roof option in my search for a Prius.

• I live in Oregon, so there are about 5 days where I can actually open the roof and maintain a comfortable temperature.
    • I live in Oregon, so there are only 3 months where the car gets hot by being in the sun. At home the car sits in a garage.
    • The solar roof adds weight, which affects acceleration and especially cornering performance considering the weight is at the highest point.
    • 1 more potential thing to go wrong.
    • It costs more. Much more.
    • Body rigidity is usually compromised by placing the hole in the roof.
    • The roof line is not as aerodynamic as the non-solar equipped models.
    • I'd be concerned about damage when strapping things to the roof.
    • My general disappointment that Toyota put a solar roof on the car, allowing people to mistakenly believe it can charge the traction battery.

6. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good points to consider, but some wouldn't apply to me. I don't' strap anything to the roof, unless I go moose hunting in Maine, but my license expired years ago ;) ; in terms of cornering I don't expect to take corners very fast, I'm a real putz when it comes to driving; not sure I buy the body rigidity being compromised. Sun/moon roofs have been installed factory and otherwise for many years. I trust that the technology of the design protects some, if not all, of the integrity of the cars rigidity; agree, it does cost more, and I realize it's one more thing to go wrong, but I make the decision knowing that; while I haven't spent much time here at Priuschat I think most who post here wouldn't mistake the solar roof as charging the traction battery. Some basic research explains it's purpose quite clearly. Solar power has come a long ways, but there's no way a solar roof can charge a Prius under any circumstance. I really don't think Toyota's intention was to mislead people.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Prius Five already has the 17" alloys replacing the lightweight 15" alloys (the 15" rims are specialized, the 17" are not) so it's possible that the rims + SR push it over the weight range limit for the EPA to state the mpg. The roof, leather and nav is about 30kg (66lbs). I can't remember what the roof is on its own.

Here in Canada and other parts of the world, we can get a Prius with AT and SR but they all don't have 17". It's back to the 15" rims as long as there's an SR overhead.

8. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

66lbs doesn't seem like much to me, but perhaps it does contribute to lesser mpg. I'm just learning about the Prius, so perhaps someone else can chime in here on whether an extra 66lbs is enough to affect mileage.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Found my post from 2009

Solar Panel Weight? | PriusChat

Looks like the SR is 30kg and the LED headlights/17" alloys are 30kg. Leather, nav, IPA, DRCC, PCS is another 40kg so my Canadian-spec Technology package Prius is at least 70kg (154lbs) over the standard weight.

So basically just adding SR isn't going to be that big of an issue especially since they'll be heavier versions (e.g. Five w/ AT) of the Prius. The biggest dent to mileage I think is the 17" alloys. You have greater unsprung weight, rotational mass and it's less aerodynamic than the specialized 15" version. Even then I remember the Chief Engineer said it was 1-2mpg.

10. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A dealer by me has a IV with the roof package on it. Last of the 2014 around. 2015s on the way soon.

11. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I could stand to lose 20lbs myself, I'm not at all concerned about the extra weight of the sunroof.
    If it makes 1-2 mgp difference, I'd be shocked.

Overall, love my sunroof, and the added bonus of the cabin-cooling fans (which help with mpg in warmer weather) that come with it!

domtick likes this.
  12. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I liked the roof ,but couldn't see the $1500 for it.

13. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I've had my used 2010 Prius w moonroof for over a month now. Here's my take...

Purchase cost:

1. The moonroof on a used car costs only a fraction over a brand new car. You can also pretend you really hate a moonroof (because of the MPG cost, more maintenance, eats head room, etc) but will consider one if the price is right. If you play your cards right, it might even give you a reason for a good discount.

2. Whatever miniscule mpg you lose is not worth the sacrifice if it really matters to you that much. I've gotten so many comments on how beautiful my car looks and i see it due mostly to the moonroof/solar panels. The dark glass top contrasting against the white color really makes it more premium.

Energy cost:

I can already say it's been more a money saver for me. Here's why..

(Disclaimer: I'm only on my 2nd tank. My 1st tank was 62mpg, my 2nd 59mpg due to colder weather).

1. On hot days when I park in the open in direct sunlight I can stay inside with only the solar powering the fans when i would have needed the ICE idling to run the AC. I know this because i often try turning it off and within a minute it becomes unbearably hot.

If i need more cooling, i slide the windows open but crack the moonroof only an inch while keeping the roof shade closed then it becomes more bearable. This way the heat escapes thru the moonroof faster without letting more heat come thru it. The solar running the fans makes enough difference i can get away with this a lot of times. I could also probably remote start the AC without the ICE idling and keep cool inside but the solar fan is doing such a good job i haven't needed to.

For the same reason after work when i 1st step in the interior needs less cooling so saves more AC use. So whatever mpg i theoretically lost due weight/aerodynamics is more than paid by the real savings of not idling the ICE for the AC.

(Note: The solar fan kicks in only after 10 minutes power off. Once it kicks in, you can feel the difference).

2. On cold days, I keep all the windows and moonroof closed but the interior slider open. The green house effect thru the moonroof keeps the interior warm enough i use the heater less. I know the difference because i use the interior shade as my temperature control. Open for more heat, close for less.

So whatever mpg i theoretically lost due weight/aerodynamics is more than paid by the real savings of not idling the ICE for heating.

#13 Starship_Enterprius, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    bwilson4web likes this.
  14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Solar arrays don't need to weigh a lot. For most designs, most of the weight is in a superstructure that can support a large surface area, withstand wind and hail, and otherwise resist movement and damage from external forces. The actual photoelectric surface can be bonded to an existing roof structure without adding substantial weight to the vehicle.

15. CodyDouglas

CodyDouglas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have a 2012 Prius IV with moonroof pkg., and then also added the factory 17" wheels. Our avg. mileage is around 45-50. Depends on who in the family drives it and how. I imagine the slight extra weights does reduce the mileage to a small extent, however the tradeoff for enjoying the roof and its cooling feature as well as the style/handling of the larger wheels/tires was well worth it for us. I think it is personal preference-some are fine with it and some would rather have the extra mpg. Personally we are very happy having both the roof and wheels, and the car has been flawless.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The wheel size doesn't matter as much as the rev/mile.

Bob Wilson

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the wheel size means next to nothing for fuel economy because of the variable-speed transmission. The type of tire does have a lot to do with it due to rolling-resistance. I can attest to the handling improvement however.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oskar, a little late to the parade, but: have you tried sitting in both styles, with/without moonroof. It does reduce headroom, might be a factor.

Just my 2 cents: we've had a moonroof on one vehicle over the years. Never really missed it since.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I may be totally off-base here, I thought BWilson was just pointing out that the tyre circumference * revolutions = distance; and that revs/mile is preferable over wheel diameter because the latter does not take tyre aspect ratios into account and the measurements themselves are nominal before mounting.

Put another way, 17 inch tyres are 17/16 greater circumference than 16 inch tyres, but the revs/mile between different 17 inch tyres can vary considerably.

20. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Consiering I'm 5'4" headroom ain't never been an issue for me. ;)