1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some general questions about installing a car stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cwl7, Feb 12, 2016.

1. cwl7

cwl7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! I'm new to the site and to Prius modifications in general. I would like to install a car stereo system, with possible future upgrades consisting of speaker replacement and a backup camera. Before I start spending any money, I was wondering if the installation of a car stereo system (I have the Alpine iLX-007 in mind, from the Crutchfield website, sorry Priuschat won't let me send links as I am a new member) would mean that I lose access to the typical vehicle setup controls in the touch screen that comes with the Prius. If that is the case, is there anyway to retain that functionality? Secondly, what about steering wheel functionality (as well as the media buttons next to the Prius' touchscreen? Could those be used on a newly installed touchscreen?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to PC.

If u change out the OEM head unit u will lose the vehicle settings screen. That's only acceptable though the OEM radio.

As for the steering wheel buttons, there are ways of utilizing them

iPhone ?

3. cwl7

cwl7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I'd like to use an iPhone for most of the function on the Prius screen (thus looking for CarPlay stereo). If I lose the vehicle settings screen, are those vehicle settings accessible somehow through the newly installed stereo? This is the part that I'm a bit confused/unfamiliar with... For example, if I want to change day-time running lights from default on to default off, can I do that with a new car stereo that replaces the screen on the Prius?

4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Which vehicle setting are you referring to? I don't recall any vehicles setting done from the headunit. Or are you referring to installed applications like Entunes?

5. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Oh wait, now I rememeber.. it's been a while. Auto lock settings and a few others.. I'm sure you will.

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Negative but u can change them with tech stream.

iPhone ?

7. cwl7

cwl7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh I see. Thanks for the response. Would you say that buying a tech stream is a necessity for the general person who modified their car with a car stereo? I don't own a Windows OS device to pair with it and it may possibly be more trouble than its worth.

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How often do u plan on going in to change those settings? Most set them & forget them

iPhone ?

9. cwl7

cwl7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm true, I rarely ever change them. Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback!

sfv41901 likes this.