1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some of my best trips...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Y-Zer09, May 4, 2016.

1. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Attached are some of my best MPG trips. I find that turning the ac down or completely off works best. Also before I know I have to brake, I drain the battery a bit followed by acceleration before I long break. Accelerating before you brake increases the efficiency because the engine has already begun the charging process for you.
    So basically I try to make sure that I'm not in EV with cold brakes before i brake charge the battery.

Attached Files:

2. jettlash1000

jettlash1000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So you use EV, drain the battery, accelerate enough to get the gas motor to kick in while you're braking? Do you take off in EV, or let the gas engine get you up to speed?

Excellent numbers!

'LectroFuel likes this.
  3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW! You deserve a score of 100/100. Great mileage!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good insights, well done!(y)

Y-Zer09 likes this.
  5. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No no. Say I'm driving a four mile road hypothetically. For the first two miles i Get to EV mode as much as I can to drain about half the battery. ( obviously when you accelerate you have to use engine) in the 3rd mile I use the gas engine to accelerate just as you normally would drive. Which get it up a bar or two. On the last mile I brake and the Chargers are already warm and ready to go.

I try to make sure I'm accelerate charging for at least 20 seconds for it to be worth it. I don't accelerate just because I'm going to brake soon

jettlash1000 likes this.
  6. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! The car has been above and beyond my expectations. It's fun learning how to take advantage of the hybrid system.

7. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    at what speed do you reach before braking, can you give a little more info

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    At what ambient temperatures and what type of varying elevation are you achieving these values? what is the average speed per trip?

9. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure, so just to clarify this is not a good technique for highway driving. This is a technique for city and stop and go traffic, you should be able anticipate possible stops and accelerate accordingly.
    I'm pretty good about doing the speed limit 45,50, 55 when other cars around and I accelerate normal.
    The main key is when you are gas charging your battery through acceleration to find the throttle point that is low enough to keep the engine on but high enough to stay out of EV. The Atkin cycle engine will run at its most efficient rate and also charge your battery at the same time! (Amazing) This spot is right below the EV range on the Eco bar display. (I'm sure you know what I'm taking about.) I find that doing this you can keep a steady increase in acceleration and You will find that after keeping the throttle at the right point the Prius will charge your battery to peak performance levels (the system runs most effeceint with a %90 battery.) and will switch to EV mode once ready. Once in EV mode I start the brake charging.
    You can decide what top speed you accelerate to. Obviously the lower the better but traffic conditions don't always permit. Using this acceleration technique allows you to accelerate faster to even above speed limit until the system hits its peak battery level.

Also, With the new Prius you are able to drive in all EV mode and much higher speed 55-65. I use this to discharge the battery when I know for sure I'm not stopping soon. And I'll discharge to around half or what ever the traffic permits.

Maxwell61 and GaryD1 like this.
  10. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually 70-90 recently here in south Florida. There are no hills. City Traffic on average is 25- 35 MPH depending on the day. I wouldn't say I'm a slow driver, just cautious and understand when lights are going to turn.

11. jettlash1000

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get what you're saying. Have you noticed any gains after the break-in period being completed?

12. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Believe these or not I've been driving around all day and below are my trips Using this method from today only. You will see the temperatures between 70-80

Attached Files:

GaryD1 and pakitt like this.
  13. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can say yes, it's been 5000 miles now and it has gotten better. Could be the way I'm driving though

14. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, After you're done braking and you have the ability to immediately Accelerate, use the gas instead of EV because this will just continue the charging cycle while your brakes are hot.
    There could be stored regenerative energy that has not been used because electricity is transferred to the battery in cycles not continuously. So it's best to continue engine charging after breaking unless your charged up completely. You can tell the difference by watching the energy monitor
    Ev after full battery.

jettlash1000 likes this.
  15. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's been a long day, been up since 4:30. Here was my last trip of the day.

Attached Files:

16. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is really a high MPG - was the engine warm? did it warm up at all when you took it for the last trip? 77F/25C is a pretty comfy temp to achieve a record fuel consumption - wish I lived in a place where it is over 70F/20C most of the year...

17. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    70s are a cool day for us. Mostly 80s. It makes a huge difference when you can crack a window and not run the ac

18. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The engine wasn't completely warm. I started the trip after the car was sitting for 2 hours. (Played nine holes) The battery was charged up

19. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations Y-zero, yours is it a Two ECO or Two? Which brand & model of tires you have?

20. jettlash1000

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And you ended with a full battery! Nice job!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.