1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some people do drive slow in Prius (for wrong reasons)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Former Member 68813, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My observation this morning. I was gliding to a red light and noticed a lone 2010 Prius in a right line. I took my bet that the other Prius will drive slowly and moved to a left line. We moved from the intersection at the same time, but the other car accelerated less. I usually accelerate at the junction of ECO and Power, just enough for the ECO light on (sometimes well into power if it feels I'm slowing the traffic). I bet the other driver accelerated somewhere in the middle of HSI. I moved back into right line and kept accelerating till I reached 50 MPH (10 over speed limit) while the other car lagged behind and was doing no more that speed limit. I saw drivers behind that car desperate to change line to pass her. I quickly lost sight of the car.

Here is the kicker. My commute this morning clocked 68MPG with almost full battery at the end. The trip was mixed suburban/city and we had a warmer that typical day with morning temps in the low 60's F. I accelerated briskly and then glided to a next stop light, a few times I rolled through just as the lights switched to green without stopping. No traffic was blocked behind me.

I bet the other driver got lower MPG as lower acceleration meant ICE stayed on longer with less glide (if any at all).

My take, if people are driving too slow to save on gas, they are wasting gas. Now, this applies in city and not Hwy of course.

1 person likes this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're mostly correct. Pulse and glide is the best way to achieve high mileage. Egging the pedal won't help like conventional cars.

However, traveling at a slower speed will yield better mileage even in the city, as long as you use pulse and glide to get to that speed, the same way a faster driver would. The reason is because guess what, you used more gas to accelerate to your higher speed. Momentum won't carry a slower driver as far, but that's the whole reason they're going "slower." In any case the ICE is still off and they've saved more gas than you.

Anyways, I don't think how you drive makes quite as big a difference as temperature/where you live and slopes.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yea, I like to call this the granny-syndrome. There was a granny who wanted to sue Toyota for getting poor mileage, because she drove the car very slowly, yet got very poor mileage. But in so doing, she operated the engine well below its extremely wide efficiency zone (pretty tuff to do actually).

The electronic throttle of the Prius opens the throttle all the way, if it can, as the motors are used to put an effective ratio on the engine to limit run-away RPM. If you go very low on the accelerator peddle, it can't do that, and the engine has allot more pumping losses. In traditional cars, going quick and hard on the peddle results in enrichment, which burns allot more gas. In the Prius, the best action has to be learned, its not real quick and deep, but its not slow and shallow either.....

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have nevr beaten another prius offthe line in accellerating. i don't have a scan gauge, so not sure best efficiency, but i get 65 mpg in good weather. 49 in this weather.:(

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You lost me when you started dissing the lady for obeying the law. Just using the laws of physics, I'd bet she's getting better mileage.

6. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday i saw two prius holding up traffic in two different occasions. Even i became frustrated waiting in a line of cars led by a slow prius. Although this happens too with other cars, it seems more prevalent with Prius owners (probably thinking they will achieve better fuel efficiency).

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (1) I wouldn't make this bet;
    (2) we don't have a way to check the other driver's mpg;
    (3) if your mpg really was higher, I strongly believe it was due to technique and possibly the vagaries of light timing, not higher speed. If you can get 68 mpg at 50 mph, then I believe you should be able to get mid-70s mpg by keeping max speed below 45 mph;
    (4) Bob Wilson's steady speed MPG vs MPG graph shows 67 mpg at 50 mph, 80 mpg at 40 mph;
    (5) most of my life has been in areas where 10 mph over limit is hazardous to retention of a drivers license.

9. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This thread is silly. I saw a pickup truck driving slowly, a Gen 2 Prius was behind, got pissed, slammed the throttle, jerked around and went in front of the beater pickup. That was today.

As a Gen 3 owner, I didn't think a Gen 2 could accelerate that fast. The Prius drives just like any other car or pickup, the only other variable is how much you pump at the gas pump.

1 person likes this.
  10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My couple'a cents' worth:
    1) Ken@Japan has posted a translation from the world record hypermiler who uses "rapid acceleration" in order to get up to speed faster.
    2) I got frustrated and blew past a sporty Mercedes today on my way home because he was driving low-30s in a 50.

From day to day, car to car, you never know what's going on in the mind of the other driver.

2 people like this.
  11. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So has the Prius replaced the little old lady, wearing a hat, slowly driving a Cadillac with the left turn signal eternally on???

Keith

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't agree more!
    Well said!

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I disagree strongly here. People are predictable if you pay attention to them. If you look in your rear view mirror and see a guy in a pickup truck hauling down your lane, you bet can he's thinking "get outa my way prius.". He's going to change lanes and go around you. If you see approach a car that's crawling paticularly in a neighborhood you can bet they're lost. He's going to keep going slowly.

Occasionally both sides misjudge and that's when accidents can occur. But most of the time our brains do an amazing job at receiving signals and reacting appropriately.

14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I think the point is that one can drive too-slow for mileage. If your driving for the best mileage, accelerating correctly is important. Now, its a pretty broad range, but its not infinite.

And, accelerating near the top of the ECO range (as the OP indicated) is not that fast an acceleration at all. I guess its something like a 0 to 60 mph time around 25 seconds? Or less than 1/2 as quick as the car can go....

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point, actually I'm often forced to accelerate at full power reading so I would not slow the flow of traffic. Even then the acceleration is comparable to what average car does. The MPG suffers then. The ECO light on HSI is for a good reason.

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been behind those really slow Prius drivers...

I accelerate briskly, then allow Rudy to glide along at the speed limit. I don't get really high MPGs, but I'm pretty happy with the ones I get.

17. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm a fairly slow driver by choice and just happen to drive a Prius...I seem to be in a third category from above comments.

18. TheHuluWonder

TheHuluWonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I've been thinking I was the fastest out there for a while. Too many Prius owners are too conservative, but then again, there's nothing against defensive driving right?

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Brisk acceleration for me. A solid 50 MPG average as a result... as well as usually being the leader from the light.

That's briefly going into the red/power zone. To be specific, hitting 3500 RPM.

20. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I do believe from reading all the posts and charts, that setting a throttle position such that the engine puts out 20-25 hp whenever it is on, gets the most power for a given quantity of gas. I easily get 60 mpg summers 53 mpg winters using this approach. Check the Gen 3 Bhp curves.