1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something went "puffff" under the hood then a/c stopped blowing cool air!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dojanah, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Dojanah

Dojanah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys...
    I've had my 2009 prius for about a month or so, used of course, a/c was working just fine until one day while parked, I turned the a/c on, put the fan at high and the cooling at low, when suddenly something went "puffff" under the front hood with blow of steam or dust or something like it not sure!
    I immediately turned the car off, opened the hood and everything looked just fine, turned the a/c back on, it won't blow cool air no more...

Anything similar ever happened to somebody here?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you broke a line and all the freon blew out. Rare.

Is this a salvage car?

Don't use the ac until you have it checked as you may damage the compressor. There's a switch that will lock it out with no freon but don't try to use it till you find the leak.

No idea where you live as you didn't bother to list it in your avatar so not sure if your urban. Lots of ac repair places where I live and pretty much all of them have Prius experience. They can check the system for $50 around here. They can locate a big leak pretty fast they inject dye and locate it quickly. Hopefully the front condenser didn't go as that's expensive. Lots of posts about that and most were people who had just bought the car at salvage auction and the car took it in the nose and had a damaged condenser that was rigged up.

Dojanah likes this.
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had this happen to me. It was a different car, A/C is A/C it was so hot the pressure in he system got so high, it blew the safety plug out! I had to have the freon bottle replaced, then the system recharged! I was in Phoenix and about 112°! We will not be retiring there!

#3 KK6PD, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Dojanah likes this.
  4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A system that leaks so quickly will have an obvious oily splash around the point of failure. So it should be possible to inspect visually and find the source.

Also, just a nit, there is no freon anymore. Gone, done, last century. It's called refrigerant, type R134a these days.

Dojanah likes this.
  5. Dojanah

Dojanah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it is a salvage car, the car got hit on it's right wing :/
    now I think the condenser might be wrecked!
    will do thanks for the advice.
    Well, I live out of the US so I think it's a little bit harder to find a legit Prius expert but will look for one anyway.

I think it was 104° over here... I hope it's only the feron not the condenser...

I couldn't notice the splash..
    thanks for the tip, refrigerant not feron :)

#5 Dojanah, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep your not alone. Many stories just like yours.

Dojanah likes this.
  7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Freon is a DuPont trademark. It was developed by Thomas Midgley, the same chemist who developed tetraethyl lead in gasoline.

The original term was R12 or R22.

Today, it's R134a.

I still have a supply of R12 and R22.

R22 is now $38 plus a pound wholesale. It will keep going up, since they will not be making it and it is being phased out. No new R22 machines have been made since 2010.

A lot of R22 is being stolen out of old home air conditioning units.

Dojanah likes this.