1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something's wrong. Help!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by anonymoususer, Dec 14, 2010.

1. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently there has been a series of problems popping up with the Prius. Its a 2003 model year.

- About four nights ago the warning icon and check engine light (picture below) popped up upon engine start-up and i noticed a weird idle. It seemed to idle rough. After about 20 seconds of idling the engine would shut off. After about 10 minutes and 6 or 7 attempts to restart the engine the warning lights disappeared and idle seemed to be restored.

[​IMG]

- The afternoon after that the same warning icon and check engine light popped up along with the rough idle. After about 10 minutes and 6 or 7 attempts to restart the engine the warning lights disappeared and idle seemed to be restored.

- After this incident it seems like the vehicle is getting bad gas mileage. The picture below shows me getting an average of 25mpg. I was driving very conservatively. Driving the same way i usually do, i usually get 45-50mpg. The vehicle seems to be charging the battery more than usual.

[​IMG]

I took the vehicle to a few parts stores here and none of them do a free diagnostic. Before i take it to the local Toyota stealership can anyone give me an idea of whats wrong?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Do you find that the gasoline engine is now running at times when it normally would not (i.e., when coasting or under gentle acceleration?)

2. Turn on the air conditioner (MAX AC) and assess the quality of the engine idle. Is it smooth, or does the engine misfire?

3. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was about to ask if you got some bad gasoline at your last fill, but from the photo, it shows you to be relatively low on fuel. Does the Triangle of Death go away on it's own? Here on the mainland, AutoZone and O'Reilly Parts will lend you an ODBII tester, yet they don't work so well with Prius's. I would invest in a ScanGuage II for long term use, and diagnostics - Only $159 at AutoZone anyhow, then you could see what is going on internal to your battery pack, and elsewhere.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You need to pull the main (HV) battery readings which requires a sophisticated OBD2 system (Toyota, Autoenginuity, ScanGauge with xgauge, ...). You first image is pointing to a main battery balance problem.

JeffD

5. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. I do notice the gasoline engine running more than usual and it seems to be charging the battery more than usual.

2. I dont seem to have any issue with idle the AC on at any setting.

Yes the "Triangle of Death" went away on its own after about 10 minutes and 7 attempts to restart the engine. I went to the local O'Reilly and they said they do not do any sort of OBDII diagnostic.

I don't have access to an OBDII scanner but i'll ask around.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Watch the traction battery SOC gauge. Do you see the reading jumping up and down more than normal? If yes, the traction battery has probably failed.

Odometer reading?

7. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll keep my eye on that. Currently the mileage is 94xxx miles and production date of the vehicle is 01/03 so I should still be under warranty. I set my appointment today unfortunately Servco Toyota has such a back log on service. I need to wait 2 weeks to a month depending on which stealership.

8. s9pa

s9pa It is about the environment

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm waiting to hear about the codes they give you. If by any mean it comes up as P3006 (Don't panic ). Ask them to give you the chart showing the voltage for each battery module as well. --- I had the same issue as you described and fixed it myself. I'm waiting for your scanned codes and battery modules voltage chart for further advice.

9. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll post the codes. I appreciate the help!

If i do have the P3006 trouble code what does that mean? And how would you go about fixing it? Would it be covered under the hybrid warranty 8yr/100k?

10. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't notice the SOC charge gauge fluctuating.

11. s9pa

s9pa It is about the environment

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do, they will tell you that you need the traction battery changed. If you are still under warranty, then let them do it. Otherwise, if you have the modules chart I refered to in my first post, you will need to get the weaker modules (those with higher or lower voltage than the rest) changed.

If you are handy, you can do it yourself and pay about $10 -$20 for reconditioned modules. But let's not dance faster than the music !!!

12. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK so we took it to Servco Toyota. They said it was something to do with the throttle being dirty and charged us $300. :mad:

The codes they pulled were P3190 and P3191. Does this diagnosis sound right considering the symptoms? Or is the stealership pulling our chain. I do realize the hybrid warranty will be ending very soon. I would hate to find out it really is our hybrid system malfunctioning after than warranty expires.

*edit* Did a little research on Google. Was there an service bulletin and extended warranty for the trouble codes P3190 and P3191?

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi anonymoususer,

Do a search on here on those codes using the SEARCH button here on Prius Chat.

Allot of people clean there throttle body and MAF sensor (very delicate!) themselves with good results. $300 sounds like 3 times too high for this service. Unless they are just going to outright replace the throttle body, and clean the MAF. Which is probably unecesary. Although, there have been cases where the throttle plate bearings are sticky, even after cleaning, and wont allow the plate to properly snap all the way closed.

I do not remember any extended waranty for this. The grime is due to usage, and it simply a normal wear item.

14. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the P3190 and P3191 trouble codes sound right for the problems i was having? I just wanna make sure the dealership isn't jerking my chain

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We had the exact same warnings last year, and yes all it needed was the TB &MAF sensor cleaned. BTW am I missing something here? Your first pic clearly shows nothing about the battery or the HV system at all, but it does show the car w/line icon and up on the dash it has the check engine light. Those are exactly correct for this problem. The Triangle is the Master Warning, the crossed out car on the screen indicates a problem that severely impedes the car from operating, and the check engine light says the problem is in the ICE.

If it were a HV/battery problem the middle one on the mfd screen would be highlighted. The one to the left "PS" is for a power steering problem I believe.

BTW the dirty MAF sensor is usually caused by overfilling the ICE with oil at every change -something most dealers do, so whenever you get the oil changed, check the dipstick to make sure it isn't overfilled, if it is drain some until it is just a hair below the full mark.. You see they will tell you that 1/4inch over on the stick is ok, but I am seeing more and more evidence that this condition will cause too much oil mist in the intake areas, especially when starting from cold. This will eventually foul the sensors.

1 person likes this.
  17. familyman

familyman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These same warnings showed up on my '03 Prius this morning. Is it okay to drive it a few miles to Advance Auto Parts to get the codes read?

Attached Files:

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car can be driven, then it would be OK. However the generic OBD-II code reader available at discount auto parts stores may not produce a reliable result.

19. familyman

familyman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can I be sure that it is okay to drive the car? Are there codes stored somewhere other than in the ECU?

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I note that your second photo shows 0 bars on the fuel gauge. Is it possible that you have a simple out-of-gas situation? If so, you'll need to add at least four gallons of fuel, and after three restarts you may find that the warning lights will go off.

Otherwise, if the photos that you posted show all of the lit warning lights, and you can drive the car around the block without noticing driveability issues, then I would say it is OK to drive the car a "few" miles. However if you wish to eliminate all risk and doubt, then you should tow the car to your dealer so that the DTC can be retrieved and a complete diagnosis provided.

DTC can be produced by several ECUs, which is why a generic OBD-II code reader (which expects to see DTC generated by the engine ECU) has trouble retrieving all Prius DTC.