1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sort of new Prius C owner

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Greg Siciliano, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Greg Siciliano

Greg Siciliano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well sort of a new owner ... we've owned our Orange Prius C for 5400 miles getting it in November. Today it went in for its first maintaince/tire rotation and didn't have that thrilled Toyota owner feeling when it came back without addressing a couple concerns. I'll explain about that in a moment.

We looked for about five months before buying it, I have a GM/Ford and Fiat (aka Chrysler) discounts, and even offered a Volt demo for a little more than what the C costed us. I wasn't impressed with the Volt, used the same car for a few days and it really didn't seem right to me. I also drove a preproduction Ford cMax and it got really poor mileage compared to the Pruis' I drove, the Ford got about 35. So my wife had her mind made up it as to be a Toyota not because of Toyota's quality (seen how they are built and know some who work at their R&D place near here) not because the styling or technology but rather because the place my wife works for contracted with a taxi company to do the transport work between the campuses and got several rides in a Pruis taxis and loved it.

The car itself, a level 2, has been great with zero problems, really a joy to drive and in the snow drove better than either my caravan and my pickup. My wife has been scared to drive it in the snow, thinking that it wouldn't do well or have any traction. Comparing it to the Chrysler products we have owned, all of them had issues within the first 2000 miles so we are happy with the C.

The mileage hasn't been the greatest, the salesman said we should average 50 to 55 but we have been averaging 45 (via the information center but 48 by checking at fill up), I think that's due to the cold weather and our driving habits not the car. We end up driving with the slower traffic on the freeway where the average speed tops 85, while we do an average of 70. Her drive is about 75 round trip for work daily of which we hope to cut that down when we move closer to her work by the end of this year, a round trip of 22 miles.

The biggest problem we had is when we picked up the car, they didn't do a proper PDI, not seeing the missing console piece and a couple other things missing inside the car - one of these missing pieces bugs me the most is the screw cover on the top of the dash - there is a left one but no right one (being told today during the servicing of the car that there isn't one there but it sure looks like there should be). Any good prep person would notice this stuff. I may be really anal about PDIs and expect a good delivery if I'm shelling out money for the car.

The other problem or I think it is a problem, is the battery gauge in the information center. Before we bought the car, I drove another C for a couple days, I watched carefully the information center in Eco score mode to see the battery gauge. During the 100 or so miles I drove the car showing fully charged with 8 bars on it other than driving it in the EV mode. Ours has never been over 7 bars and I'm not worried that there is a serious problem with it but concern about the gauge and the calibration of the entire electronics of the car. Today the mechanic at the dealer wrote in the comments section of the paper work that everything is functioning correctly and the gauge fluctuates - DUH! I already know that it fluctuates. This is where my thrill of being a Toyota owner went out the door, I should have talked to him directly.

So I have to ask should it go up to eight bars or was that car I drove before just have something wrong with it?

Now the things I don't like about the car is really trivial to most, with one or two that many not make any sense.

The first thing is that I would like to see a way to activate the horn when the doors are locked by the remote. My wife sees that the doors are locked more than once when she gets home, too many cars have been stolen around here. Having an audible indication that the doors are lock would help us out, especially on a sunny day. This should be an opton as should be the door locks are activated when a speed threshold is reached.

Seeing the car is built in Japan and they drive on the other side of the road, the rear wiper seems to be on the wrong side of the window. If you ever driven a RHD car, you would understand my point because directly behind if the driver is on the right you have a clear view of the cleaned area of the window but if the driver sits on the left hand side, it is partially obstructed. Most would not care, let alone say anything about it. Speaking of the rear wiper, I think that the motor is really loud and should have some sound deadening or a cover by the factory to quiet it down.

Overall we are very happy with our Orange C, I would buy another one if I had the chance but hope to keep this one for a while.

By the way, I have seen only five other Prius C's around the area (I'm in the Detroit area) and surprisingly no other Orange ones.

2. BrunoPuntzJones

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    The battery isn't supposed to be fully charged. It leaves itself some overhead, sounds like it's operating at normal. It's possible to get it to "full" bars, but that's not normal operating conditions.

My car barks when I lock it. Have you checked the manual to see what it says? I have a 4 so all my horn options are on the touch display thing, do not know how you adjust it on the other models.

Since you don't feel your dealer did a proper PDI, you may check to see if they put the plugs in that are around the rocker panels. Now it's been a year since I checked where those plugs are, but hopefully someone can chime in and correct me. They cover some screw holes but would be a good thing to keep covered to keep stuff out.

And yeah, the rear wiper (teehee!) is useless.

vernon birdman likes this.
  3. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The non smart key Prius c does not honk when locked. I sure wish it did though.

4. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is not a screw cover on the driver side of the dash. That is a solar sensor that is part of the HVAC system and there is only one of them on the top of the dash. As noted by others above, the battery SOC gauge typically does not read "full".

5. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, there are several misunderstandings you have of the Prius c. It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your car. In fact, if you're averaging 48 mpg driving 70 mph on the freeway AND driving in the snow, your car is doing pretty damned good.

6. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't have a Prius c, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once!:) We've owned a couple of Prii since 2005 and bought our second one in February 2012. As my signature mentions, I would like to add a c for myself, since my wife drives our current Prius most of the time. I really like the c.

Detroit Winter weather will have a big effect on your mileage, and you will see an improvement as the cold weather eases off.

There are a few things you can do to improve a hybrid's Winter MPG figures and most of them are easy to do. Make sure that your tires are at recommended pressure. The colder it gets outside, the lower you tire pressure gets by 1 psi every 10 degrees worth of cooling. Might want to remember that tire pressure goes up by 1 psi as you go up the temperature scale every 10 degrees.

Heater use. It doesn't matter what type of car you have. If you turn on the heat right away, it will take the engine longer to come up to heat. Until your engine comes up to full operating temperature, it will burn gasoline less efficiently.

Let the car come up to temperature as you drive. Usually takes around 5 miles or a little more, depending on how cold it is outside. At that point, go ahead and turn the heat up to a comfortable level. I wear a coat and gloves in the colder months so I don't suffer while the car warms up.

If you blast the heat a max temp, max fan and run the defrosters, you will eat up a lot of energy. I'm not in any way suggesting not to use these features, just try not to max them out. If your car's passenger cabin gives a sauna a run for its money once it's warmed up, you will be using way more fuel than you really need to. I keep the heat between 65 and 69 degrees in the car during the Winter months depending on sunshine and how I'm dressed. Dress for the weather and you'll save significant fuel in the long run.

Take only the things you actually need to take with you in the car. I see plenty of people lugging heavy items that seem to just be stored in the car day to day for no apparent reason. Anything you take in the car, will cost you gasoline to move.

I understand that we are all in a terrible hurry every day to get to work or play or whatever. Leave 5 minutes earlier. Try this a couple of times. You can take your time and if traffic gets really bad, you'll have a built in cushion to still get there on time. Slow it down a little, 5 mph or so. That little factor will save you some fuel.

For the speeds you mentioned in you post that you drive in traffic, your Prius c is returning great MPGs. The c is way more efficient at moderate speeds, between 35 to 50 mph under most circumstances. When you move closer to work, you should do the 11 miles to work on back roads, taking it easy, and you'll end up getting 50 to 60 MPG regularly.

My commute is 12 miles one way on rural roads. When I get to drive our Prius hatchback, I average 56 MPG going to work and 53 MPG on the return trip in the Summer and it drops about 3-4 mpg in Winter traveling at speed limits that vary from 35 to 50 MPH. Drive slower when you get the chance to do it safely. That will bring that MPG indicator up in a hurry.

On a couple of the longer test drives I've had in a Prius c, I got into the upper 50s and lower 60s after pretty good cycles that included interstate and city stop and go. The c is capable of extremely good fuel mileage.

Don't worry about your battery indicator. I have hardly ever seen all the battery bars lit up to the top in the 8 years that we have driven Prius.

Talk to your dealership's service manager about doing a second PDI for you. Tell him how you feel about it, and he may agree to have it done for you. Can't hurt. You want to try to develop good relationship with your service department. Some dealers are a lot better than others on that end. So good luck with that.