1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound Proofing Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by khoakhoa, Jul 14, 2012.

1. khoakhoa

khoakhoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Quick Look & tips for install on 2012 Prius Plug in Rear Doors

This is overkill method I would like to call it,

Dynamat Extreme applied to Outer skin with 1/2 inch thick Dynaliner over and Inner skin with Dynamat Extreme with 1/8 Dynaliner over that as well.

Rear Door Panel Install

genetiix and VegasPrius2010 like this.
  2. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks nicely done. I'm assuming you've had some practice on other vehicles.

Do you have any idea of the weight this adds overall (all 4 doors)?

3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The weight is inconsequential - even if he did all 4 doors, the complete floor pan beneath the carpet and the firewall. I plan on doing this too so thanks, OP, for the video. BTW, should any maintenance be needed for power windows or PDLs, they will have to cut out your matting. I have used a cruder method to sound-deaden the doors, but it already makes huge difference. I want to do the Dynamat though, even if it is pricey. I also plan to pull the interiors out and carpeting to do Dynamat for complete floor pan. If you check, there's nothing between the carpet and the metal pan.

Earlier this spring, I sound-deadened all 4 wheel wells using foam rubber and rubberized undercoating. I'm convinced that did a lot to reduce cabin noise, but more is needed. I tried to upload the pictures but got an error on PC.

4. khoakhoa

khoakhoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I can't believe there is nothing between carpet and metal pan, the road is right there... was interesting seeing that!
    Crude is a great word for my methods too lol, maybe crude and overkill. It made a huge difference doing the foot wells of the driver and passenger almost seemed like it did more of a difference then the doors but doing both are important. For the floors used Dynamat extreme with Dynapad on top which is interesting sound barrier .

How are you planning to do the firewall, when you rip out all the interior to do the floor plan?

When the tires need replacing will consider low road noise tires.

I am interested in looking into the wheel well after this phase.

Far as I know there is no maintenance with power windows until they break and need fixing, What is PDL? (Power Door Locks)

Added rest of video above.

5. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wheel well muffling 007.JPG wheel well muffling 008.JPG wheel well muffling 009.JPG If you pull up the plastic runner between the right side kick panel and the center post between the front and rear doors, you will see the edge of the carpet and the metal floor pan directly beneath it. Prius also has a nice plastic underbody panel if you look under the car, but that does nothing to stop road and engine noise from transferring into the cabin. As you do all 4 doors in Dynamat, and if you decide to do the wheel wells as I did, you will really notice the road noise from the pan.

I've seen members here put the Dynamat just about everywhere under interior panels to cut back on the road noise. This is especially noticeable as you get about 60 mph on freeways. If you take a lot of road trips, this type of sound-deadening is worth it. I was finally able to upload my shots of the wheel well sound deadening foam (not an easy job). After the wheel well cover was reinstalled, I sprayed a can of rubberized undercoating on the entire surface.

Attached Files:

6. khoakhoa

khoakhoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    For weight for a full car install, for instance another user was about 120LBS, his install is awesome,
    Total Sound Makeover - Sound Deadening, Speakers, Processor, Amp, and Subwoofer | PriusChat

I had previous experience with dynamat but not on vehicles. First install for a car, car worth doing I guess, searching the internet and gathering different options and aspects of the install, buying material and winging it! Looking forward to rest of the car after this phase is completed

7. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    khoakhoa

I am in San diego too, how long it took for you to do the floor? begin to end?? is it very hard? did you note any reduce the road noise at all, I did all 4 doors and the trunk and will do the back seat this weekend, I would like to do the floor too but too scary to remove the seats and center console.

V/r

Khoi Nguyen

8. khoakhoa

khoakhoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Awesome, Enjoying San Diego weather all weekend!

The Driver and passenger footwells dont take very long, about one hour each but I took my time since I am learning as I am going, how to remove panels, methods to the madness, much easier then the Outer/Inner doors, since its more straight forward rectangular geometry in there. Since its not the full floor yet, its just the footwells, moving the driver side cowl and front small center console cover piece is all thats needed. I put Dynamat Extreme where I could reach and areas where I could bend the carpet out of the way with out going nuts since I am guessing to get to the rest when full floor is done.

Since only the Rear doors fully for now, I noticed a huge difference from foot wells, the road noise for me feels bearable now lol, some reason it bothered me enough to get this far with installing sound proofing to begin with. After just foot wells in front area, I am able to stand the noise better even with out doing the front or driver side doors yet. So I can't wait to do the front doors especially driver door since I am closer to it and road.

I do wish there was a step by step for the Gen 3 , especially that other owner that did the full car, to video the whole panel removal process, Its been pretty easy so far, just go slow and play with the retention clips and haven't broke anything yet, its just so sketchy and have to have patience.

9. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good luck with the rest of the floor pan. When I do my car's floor pan , I'm going to remove the interiors in phases. Like you mentioned, first the low-bridge console, main center console, front seats, gas cap release, mid-car columns which cover the seat belt retractors, the rear seat and finally extract the carpet. I will get pictures of it, but I'm waiting for cooler days which could be months off here. I plan to do Dynamat Extreme over the complete pan. Noise has a way of sneaking around so if you only do certain areas, other untreated areas can still transmit road noise. It's not a perfect science, but if I'm going thru the trouble, I want it as good as it can get.

The next phase will be under the HV battery (has to be done carefully) and then finally the rear hatch area. I'm ordering the Dynamat from Amazon.com as they seem to have the best price. Where did you get yours?

10. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please take pics of the items and how they latch together.
    Also if you remember try to track the order that items are removed.
    Good luck.

11. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    khoakhoa

Where are you in San diego, I would like come to see you to compare some note if that possible, I am in Mira Mesa, just did all 4 doors, trunk and back seat, aslo just upgrade 4 speakers. Everything sound good and better than before, but I am not really happy yet.:)

V/r

Khoi nguyen
    858-699-7604

PS: call me if that possible

12. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pruis door Dynamat 001.JPG Pruis door Dynamat 002.JPG Thanks again OP for the inspiration and video instructions for installing Dynamat Extreme. I just finished my doors too - wow, what a difference on sound deadening. When it cools off here, I plan to do the entire floor pan too.