1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Source for Gen1 compressor clutch?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by robert mencl, Aug 1, 2014.

1. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Tried the local parts stores and Ebay, 4 seasons, Rock Auto, Toyota dealer, etc. My friction surface is gone, but the compressor works too well to dump the charge. Does anything interchange, Rav4, etc.
    Thanks, Robert

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The 1.5L Echo has the same engine block. There may be others but those two are as similar as possible to find.

Bob Wilson

robert mencl likes this.
  3. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Bob I see some on Ebay for Echo, I will check Hollander Monday and report back.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Early Scions too.

Bob Wilson

5. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm finding 200-2002 MR2 compressors listed as interchange for gen 1 also, but I see the pulley is wider.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm confused - does searching for 88410-47030 or 88410-47040 not find you anything? Or do you just mean the local dealer doesn't have one in stock?

I'm not sure why both part numbers are listed ... I'd expect to see different VIN ranges or something to choose one or the other but I don't. Might have to double-check with a dealer.

The rotor, stator (magnet), and hub subassemblies are also separately listed, so in principle you could just swap the rotor and hub if the surfaces were worn but the magnet's ok, though it doesn't look like that would save much.

Of the online Toyota dealers, Village Toyota Parts might not be the very cheapest, but I'm trying to send more business their way since discovering their search results don't hide the part numbers, which is a strong selling point in my view.

-Chap

robert mencl likes this.
  7. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Chap, thanks for the link to Toyota Village Parts, saved in favorites for P/N and pricing info. My local dealer only wants to sell me a whole compressor for more than I have in the whole car, and it's looking like the most sensible way is to buy an aftermarket compressor, use the clutch, and shelve the compressor...but that's kind of backwards....the aftermarket manufacturer gets those clutches somewheres...It's looking like the clutch is a weak link on this model and I'm looking to find an alternative solution to pass on.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, won't Village (or any of the other online dealers) sell you the clutch if you order it? I'm still confused.

And what makes you say the clutch is a weak link? So far in 13 years and 218k miles mine has needed a $1.21 shim adjustment, once that I know of. If it ever reaches the point where the spec travel can't be achieved even with no shim, I'm guessing that'll be somewhere around the 400k mile mark. How durable do you want it to be? :)

Or, when you say your friction surface is gone, were you expecting to see anything besides ground metal? That's all it is....

-Chap

robert mencl likes this.
  9. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OK, I was thinking that brown ring on the clutch inboard surface was once friction material
    ...Chapman, I think it's a weak link because of the number of posts I have read on it.
    I've owned a bunch of high mileage cars, never had a clutch problem before.
    I'm at 160k, down to 1 shim, tried removing that but not enough free play...and have deep deep grooves worn in both sides of the clutch....if they're just steel plates anyway, I will try milling them. Car holds a charge and cools well till it kicks out.
    I see the $65. Prizm/Toyota ones look very similar, if I can confirm the ID of the the Gen 1 bearing is also 40mm I may try one of those instead, I can buy gas for months for the difference in price!

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, they always mill each other into weird, nonflat shapes over time. The thing is, those weird nonflat shapes still fit each other perfectly, because milling each other was how they got that way. They even have a greater contact surface area now than they did when they were flat. That does, though, make it hard to measure the clearance using a straight feeler gauge.

The best way to measure the clearance is to rest a dial indicator tip on the pressure plate, then apply voltage to the magnet and read the dial for how far the plate traveled. That will give you a good reading no matter how weirdly the surfaces are shaped.

If you haven't measured the thickness of the one washer that was in there, don't think you are past the adjustment range yet. In my experience and some others', what is in there originally is a lot thicker than the ones that come in the $1.21 adjusting shim kit. The three you get in the kit are 0.1, 0.3, and 0.5 mm.

If you measure the pressure-plate travel with the old shim washer, take the old washer out and measure its thickness ... add 0.5 mm to the old washer thickness and subtract the old plate travel. The result is the new shim thickness you want. If you can combine any one, two, or three of 0.1, 0.3, 0.5 mm shims to make that thickness (within 0.15 mm either side), then reassemble with that combination out of the shim kit and you're back in business. (In my case, there were two combinations that would work, one within 0.15 mm on the tight side and one within 0.15 mm loose. I ended up going with the loose one because the tight one did slightly drag.)

I would not bother trying to mill the faces. That will only remove material unnecessarily, and bring you closer to the day when it really is too worn to re-shim.

-Chap

robert mencl likes this.
  11. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If want to buy a clutch but don't see one on eBay you can contact the sellers who have posted AC compressors and mention you are in the market. They will likely post one for you or (more likely) offer to sell you one directly.

I recently respaced a clutch I thought was toast and got it back to working order. It took some fiddling with paper-thin washers, but I got it working.

robert mencl likes this.
  12. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Wisco, You and Chapman have convinced me to go back to basics and measure and shim. Will post results.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad you'll give it a try. One thing I forgot to mention is that if you go to measure the "before" pressure plate travel with a dial indicator and the gap is waay too big, the magnetic field may be so weak at that distance that the plate doesn't even pull all the way in when you put volts on the coil. It might just lean a little bit, and on your dial it'll look like a ridiculously small travel.

If that happens, just reach up and give the plate a nudge while the magnet is on, and it will pull the rest of the way in with a solid clack, and then the travel you read off the dial will be accurate.

If you go to the dealer and blow a buck and a quarter on the shim kit, and when you work out the combination you need it doesn't use all three, just stash the rest in a safe place. That way when 2026 rolls around and you need to do this again, it'll take you 10 minutes and zero dollars because all you'll be doing is choosing a different combination of shims.

-Chap

#13 ChapmanF, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  14. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Chapman, AC is done, 88 in the shade today, I can make ice cubes in the Prius...AC does not kick out, even accelerating up hills.
    I got some wavy metric washers, they are about 1/3 the thickness of my present shim...went back up on the lift and pulled the plate, finally noticed the outer plate is warped enough that only 1/2 of it's circumfrence was making contact when dogged in, the other half shows no contact...having nothing to lose, took the plate to the bench grinder and had at it, then filed it a bit to smooth it, reassembled with the minimum stack of washers that will let it disengage when hot....works great. May try to do a more accurate fit later with Prussian blue, but I will likely buy a used compressor, resurface that clutch and use that, and save the extra compressor for a worser day.
    It occurs to me that if resurfacing makes the clutch unadjustable, I could grind a few thou off the end of the compressor shaft.
    Interesting that your formula for calculating compressor shim thickness...is the same as the formula for calculating valve lifter thickness! Thanks for the help, Robert

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm sure it won't be long before some marketing MBA type tells us what we really need is a fresh innovative re-envisioning of addition and subtraction. But for this week I guess we're still safe.

-Chap

Edit: seriously, are you sure they're the same, and not reversed? The thicker compressor shim makes your clearance bigger; the thicker lifter (any valve train I've seen anyway) makes the clearance smaller.

#15 ChapmanF, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    robert mencl likes this.
  16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you contacted Adopt-a-Part in Colorado?
    5030 York St, Denver, CO 80216
    Phone 303- 296-2211

Eric Sumpter and his salvage yard crew are experts on used parts for the Gen 1 Prius.

bwilson4web and robert mencl like this.
  17. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Wisco, took your advice and messaged some listers of gen1 compressors on Ebay and rycompressors out of Miami sold me a good clutch for $50. in and works fine.

18. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hooray for eBay! Glad you found one.