1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare engine for $200, should I?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Oc.dreamer, May 25, 2014.

1. Oc.dreamer

Oc.dreamer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    my 02 prius (203k) is running just fine. Someone who has a crashed prius (same model and color even) offered to sell me his engine for $200 if I remove it myself. His engine has 65k miles on it. Is it worth it for the spare? Or should I just ride my prius 'till the wheels fall off

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you plan to keep your Prius for another 100K miles and have storage space, then it might be worth buying that engine.

But why stop there? You could easily need to replace the transaxle, traction battery or MFD; not to mention ECUs like the hybrid vehicle and traction battery units.

Pretty soon your storage area will look like a Prius salvage yard.

cwerdna likes this.
  3. Oc.dreamer

Oc.dreamer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks, yeah I love the car and I'd keep it for another 200k if I could. I'm pretty sure he'd sell me the inverter and other parts as well for cheap. I'll try to negotiate a better deal for all the parts. Problem is, I have very little mechanic skills. I barely just learned how to change the oil and transaxle fluid

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well then, I hope you can find a local independent who specializes in Toyota hybrid service, or else all of those parts will only be useful as display items for a Prius Classic museum at your home.

Oc.dreamer and cwerdna like this.
  5. Oc.dreamer

Oc.dreamer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    $400 for the whole car. It has front damage and he already sold the battery. Hmm..

6. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You can buy Prius engines for that price and cheaper on car-part.com. I payed $150 for one delivered. These engines rarely die and salvage yards barely sell them. The transmission and hybrid battery are something you may want to hang onto tho. Much more likelihood they will go before the engine does. Hv battery cost = 750 and up. Transmission $400 and up. These parts can be purchased at anytime tho and you prob don't wanna keep a hybrid battery laying around unused and possibly depleting.

Oc.dreamer likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Labor to install an engine = $1500
    Labor to remove an engine from a wreck and install into another car = not $1500

Oc.dreamer likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would buy the whole car and tinker. great way to learn mechanical skills, and now you don't have to worry about being electrocuted.;)

Oc.dreamer likes this.
  9. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would say,, depends on your mechanical abilities - gifts... Its weird how some people are gifted in mechanical abilities, and others, wish they were, but just are not, even possibly can not. I was working on mini bikes at 11, tearing apart 2 stroke dirt bike motors at 14, and car engines by 15. Yet my son, as much as he wanted to, just did not have the mechanical skill set. (Yet he is a Genius in Math, with a Physics major from U.C. Davis and a total computer Wizard)! Having a wreck to tinker on WOULD be a great way to learn, yet, also, a real eye sore, and a real mess, unless you live on a farm or ranch with plenty of places to put it. Many town's and cities have ordinances about having a wrecked car, in your front yard, and it can make for some pretty ticked off neighbors, too! Call some local junk yards, ask them if they would take the stripped chassis away for free, or,, for how much $$. I had a totaled 72 Skylark that I pulled the engine n trans out of, and the wrecking yard was happy to come and tow the rest away for scrap, at no cost,, but then, that thing had A-LOT of steel in it, and that was 15 years ago. The engine & trans sat around in the garage, taking up space for years. I did take a couple parts off the engine, for our 69 Skylark, but ended up selling it all for like $100 when we had to move. I sure did not want to be moving those chunks of iron around again, along with a whole house of belongings! The down side of stripping a wrecked car, is the part you did not take off, before it goes to the wrecking yard, is ALWAYS the part you need!

Oc.dreamer likes this.
  10. Oc.dreamer

Oc.dreamer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for all the replies. I decided not to buy it. I'm still considering buying the hybrid motor though but that's about it. The engine would be too difficult for me to take out. I wanted it for when my engine starts burning oil but other things might go out before then. But I'll definitely be looking into learning some mech skills. Primarily, if I bought it, I would have 2 cars with no space to park on street sweeping days lol and I probably would have had to keep it covered up in my driveway

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the parts car is still available please share where it is. If it was close to me I'd buy it for $400 for sure.

12. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was the case 1-3 years ago, but the market is changing.

High milage prius engines are starting to die or at least drink lots of oil as they get older. If you have the room, buy one now for cheap and store it. In a couple years prices will be 2-3 times what they are now. (as more prius get older it will affect supply and demand). Even now it's hard to find cheap lowish milage engines. NOTE, we originally thought Gen1 and Gen2 could be used in place of each other. They cannot. A gen1 engine in a Gen2 will work, but poorly. BTDT!

JC91006 likes this.
  13. messenger

messenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just paid $550 for an inverter and transmission from a 2003 with 90k miles and was gad to get them.

14. Oc.dreamer

Oc.dreamer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi sorry I just realized your reply. He's located in Santa Ana, Ca. I texted him but now he says he wants keep the car and sell it by the part. If u would like his number, pls pm me thanks