1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speakers hiss in ACC and ign-on until loud noise is made

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FTWGen3, Nov 11, 2014.

1. FTWGen3

FTWGen3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys - I just got a 2011 level 2, no nav no jbl.

The equipment is a Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Component Polk DB6501 without the crossover installed
    PPI 900.5 amp under driver seat
    quality RCA's and speaker wire throughout, 12awg sub 14awg speakers
    No sub installed yet. Will be JL audio 10w3v3

The stock speaker wiring is no longer being used, and to run the HU in 3 way active mode I have the front door woofers on the HU front channel, the tweeters on the HU rear and will soon have the sub connected as well.
    I haven't done the Auto EQ yet as the sub isn't connected.
    I have the tweeter HPF on the amp set to ~3,000Hz to limit lower frequencies.

Problem:
    EDIT: I had more time to troubleshoot. An updated description below:

If I go into ACC or IGN-ON mode, and power on the HU I get some squeal/hiss noise from all 4 speakers. Now if I open and shut a door, or even slide the passenger seat back firmly, the hiss will go away. If I just sit there quietly it will stay.

If I get in the car and press the brake pedal and go into READY mode I have not heard the squeal/hiss.

Any ideas??
    I may take a short video so you can hear the noise and see how it goes away..

#1 FTWGen3, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. FTWGen3

FTWGen3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Edited above post

#2 FTWGen3, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  3. Billdozer

Billdozer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am having a similar noise issue except mine is a pop when pressing the park button. If you find a remedy for yours please post it. You might want to contact Pioneer. I think there was issues where people had to ground the rcas on Pioneer head units.

4. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You have a ground issue if you are getting noise and hiss, hiss also comes from the Gain being set too high, lower the Gain to zero and check. Also make sure all grounds go to unpainted frame and wire is no longer the 12 inches. A large POP from the speaker when power on and off is by a bad amp. I had a Polk that popped, I replaced it and it went away.

5. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First thing to check on a Pioneer headunit is the fusible link (ie RCA ground). Don't bother trying to fix it if that's the problem because it's inside the headunit and unless you know what you're doing it'll need to go off to Pioneer hospital. Best fix is to ground one of the RCA -ve outputs at the headunit to the headunit chassis or earth.