1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer plastic covering

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mindcrime67, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

I have a 2007 Prius and was cleaning the interior last weekend. I was using Armor All interior cleaner, not the armor all plastic protector, on the dash. I forgot that there is the speedometer plastic covering that is part of the dash that shines up to the plastic area where you can actually see the speed etc.
    I guess some of the cleaner stayed on the plastic covering on the dash and dried. Now I have a bunch of spots so when I drive I can see the spots where I view the speedometer. I'm unable to remove the spots.

Has anyone had this and been able to remove? I can't seem to get the spots off. I'm thinking I might have to have that plastic cover replaced and considering its part of the dash I'm sure that won't be cheap. If this was the upper plastic piece it might be easier to replace but considering its the plastic that covers the actual lower level speedometer that is hidden in the dash that I might be up for a costly repair. Any thoughts?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What have you tried? The mirror itself you should be able to use something like windex to get the spots off.

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It's kind of a pain to remove, you have to remove the entire dash assemble to get at it. I think it's part of the plastic assembly that holds the combo meter electronics, and that piece costs around $100. Don't ask how I know!

Anyway, if you can figure out a way to get a polishing rag into that space you should try some plastic cleaner/polish first. 15 minutes on a cramped dashboard is way better than 2 hours and $100 removing and reinstalling the entire dash assembly.

4. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

I tried window cleaner and the spots just don't come off. Not sure if the Armor all dash cleaner has something in there that damaged the mirror but it sure seems like it. I guess I can try some type of plastic polish.