1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spy Shots: Toyota's baby Prius C spotted for the first time

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by krelborne, Jun 2, 2011.

1. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shorter. Sportier. Efficient-er (or something like that). It's the 2012 Prius c, shown above for the first time in non-concept form. What first strikes you is that it is noticeably smaller than the 3rd Generation Prius, with a smaller driver compartment and obviously smaller rear passenger compartment. The rear hatch with the single, non-split window is carried through on the Prius c like it is on the Prius v - something I really liked about the Prius v. One thing is for sure - this car definitely has Prius roots. The front end is unmistakable. Here is a photo of the Prius c concept to compare the spy shots with: [​IMG] So, what do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments and join us in the PriusChat Prius c forum! You can view all of the photos here at AutoBlog: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyota-prius-c-spy-shots/

12 people like this.
  2. Mattwp103

Mattwp103 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha I was in the middle of posting it but being my first post I couldn't post links :(

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think much of the paint job - hopefully it will be better on the production version. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, it's too bad it looks more like a Yaris than a Celica.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'm going to like it.

But who knew Toyota would use my Grandma's 1970's shelf contact paper to obfuscate The Prius c?

Oh well, better than say....covering it with bits of painted macaroni or knitting it a cozy.

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It looks so similar to the existing Prius that if the article had said that it was the plug-in or even an upcoming hybrid from another company like Hyundai I'd believe it. So to me it looks like a scale model - 80% or so of the original. Not a bad thing and I'd likely take a look at it - if it gets a significant mpg bump it makes more sense to me than the V (or is it v).

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's a safety feature - nobody can say they didn't see it!

And to me, it's looks more like a standard Prius than like either a Yaris or a Celica.

I like this combo of the v and C. Hopefully my wife replace her current car with a v (she likes something bigger for camping trips and such), and then I'll replace my Prius (never thought I'd say that) with a C, and have more room in the garage for my bike.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rear hatch looks like it's going to be more "conventional" and vertical...which might be a good thing for visibility.

I can't really tell much at all from these photo's but I'm interested in the product.

If you can give me a "Honda Fit"..."Toyota Yaris/Matrix" like product that is driveable and gives me upwards of 50-60 mpg? I've got to take a good long look...

8. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks good!

I think it definitely looks like a shortend version of the Prius, so the brand identity is there and it would be a GREAT commuter car. Not much cargo capacity, but that's not what a commuter is for.

9. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks to me to be a mix of the current prius front end with the current yaris body. If it gets 60+ mpg I will have to take a look as well.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Liked the concept better. What else is new.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe what I'm waiting for is the Prius S. Sleeker, Sportier, Still SipS gaS. :cool:

12. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Defnitely looks a bit more Yaris-esque than Prius. Looks to have lost all the character lines from the concept, but like Mac says, "what else is new..." If Toyota could even build it with the short front and rear overhangs like the concept, that would be interesting. But the test mule looks to have lost that feature also.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh yeah, well I heard the Prius X is going to be more Xtra sleek, Xtra sporty, and Xtra efficienX.

1 person likes this.
  14. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Lexus CT...?

15. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Underpromising and overdelivering

Once the concept has given some of us hopes for something that could never, in reality, happen. We know that, intellectually. It's not surprise yet it's impossible to quell the disappointment when you see the real article and yes, you were right, the concept was way cooler.

Of course, an early prototype of one package may or may not be indicative of the range of the final production vehicle but yes, I'm bummed.

I wanted the light higher up. I wanted a significantly different interior.

I love that it has a smaller version of the V hatch. Rear visibility should be great given my experience driving the V.

But wow, what a boring interior.

It does look just a v shrunken down to size. Sort of.

I'll say this, my desire to pay for the vehicle is diminished if in fact it's just a tony version of the v. The v was a departure from Prius in some ways. I expected the c to also have flourishes all its own.

I still want a smaller, sportier and higher MPG Prius. I wonder if the c is it?

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's what was speculated when Toyota announced the Prius family:
    - Smaller than the current Prius Liftback
    - Less expensive than the current Prius Liftback

Looking at the spy shots, I'm going with check and check.

There's a pretty good reason why there have been many people pointing out that the greatest demographics for Prius ownership are older people with only the occasional exception of That_Prius_Car. This is because at $21,000USD the 18-25 year old crowd simply can not afford it. If you shrink it down and bring in a model that is more comparable to the Yaris and Fit you have a chance at nudging into that market. For a hybrid to sell at $18,500 you're going to have to sacrifice something to make up for the -uh hum - "hybrid premium" covering the cost of batteries.

Seriously. What did you expect? This thing has got to compete with cars offering few frills and constructed with mass-produced and therefore inexpensive drivetrains and technologies.

Personally, I like it.

17. ydooby

ydooby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like the idea of a smaller and cheaper, no-frills Prius, but still they could've done more to the "coolness" of the sheet metal to appeal to the younger buyers, which I thought was one of the main draws of the Prius c concept.

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it looks great - definitely a member of the Prius family. Here's a comparison with the concept:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's kind of hard to tell if there are any details in the sheetmetal with the camo wrapping on the car. I'm expecting a few details with a "cool" factor that will also coincide with aerodynamic features.

20. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the mileage is decently better, I don't even care what it looks like :) (but cool to see it finally)

1 person likes this.