1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeak In Dash Finally Fixed After 6 years

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Valencia Orange, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have had a squeak in my dash for the last 6 years. It comes and goes. I have tried many things to stop the squeak with no success.

I was determined to Stop the Squeak. I lightly taped the dash and could hear the squeak. At one time it sounded like it was coming from the drivers side, another time it sounded like it was coming from the center of the dash.

For some unknown reason, I placed my hand by the speedometer and realized if you stick your hand under the dash , it would lift up a little. I had some rubber pieces and I decided to place them under the dash as shown in the photo. In about 1 minute my dash squeak was gone. Apparently raising the dash stopped the squeak.

I drove the car, and the dash squeak was finally gone.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done sir!(y)

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I applied a similar fix a few years ago using some velcro tape that I had sitting around. My 2010 came off the first boat and the squeaks were ( and still are) really bad.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder if this is where the noise is coming from. Usually mine sounds like its coming from the glove box area. I also only have the issue on certain type of pavement (ironically the smoother the pavement ie. concrete the worse it sounds) luckily for me most of our roads in ohio are asphalt and not cement sections.

5. Fendy

Fendy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Locating sounds can be very difficult, I once had a squeek/rattle of which I was positively sure it came from the center of my dash. Tried everything, I listened in various positions. I tried listening in the drivers's seat, in the back seat, in the passenger's seat. In all different seats the sound originated from a different location in the dash, but all the time from the dashboard...finally came to the conclusion that it was the overhead sunglass-compartment. Removed the sunglasses in there, squeek gone :D

Still have one that is in the dash next to the small triangular window on the driver's side, when I push down the rattle is gone, so I think I may have to remove the dash altogether and find out if some screws are loose....

6. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I fixed the squeak in our '16 v. It started about 6 months ago and I took the dash apart and even drove it with the dash completely out and it was still there. A few weeks later I did the same thing with the help from a neighbor. It was coming from the firewall so we removed the wipers and took the plastic off at the bottom of the windshield and found a layer of dust between the 2. I cleaned the plastic and applied silicon spray where the plastic meets the windshield. Squeak is gone! :)

Raytheeagle likes this.