1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Static on XM?! (Factory installed JBL Premium Solar Roof Pkg)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RampantOctopus, Jan 6, 2010.

1. RampantOctopus

RampantOctopus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've searched the forums and seen a lot of discussion of static on the FM and AM dial but that's not my problem; I have static coming through the speakers on the XM module only. FM, CD, AUX all come in crystal clear-- it's just the XM sounds terrible. The treble is crunchy, there's hiss behind silence, and when the satellite signal actually cuts out, there is audible static coming from all speakers.

That said, has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there anything I can do short of taking the car back to the dealership for repairs? When the XM cuts out in a garage or wherever, does anyone else hear static come through their speakers?

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. When XM cuts out in the garage for me, it's pure silence out of the speakers.

The only thing I can think of is to check the connections between the antenna and the radio.

1 person likes this.
  3. RampantOctopus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I think I should just take it in. I don't even have 100 miles yet and I'm totally floored that I've already got a couple problems. Thanks for the feedback though, at least I know I'm not just being nit-picky.

4. mse103

mse103 New Member

mine sounds wonderful, but when the signal cuts out often there is a split second of light static (low volume) but then goes silent. Not like the other XM and sirius receivers ive had in other cars or standalone receivers that just go completely silen when signal is lost.

Thing is its not ALWAYS this way, i didnt see it as a problem.

5. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine sounds kind of "tinny" like listening to radio broadcasts on the computer. (I guess I expected it to be HD broadcast.)

Additionally, the XM broadcast goes static and temporarily interrupted when driving under large power lines. Imagine driving through a large open space park, listening to some Sinatra, feeling all retro-like, then "buzzzzzzz" for 3 seconds!

I've since realized it is power-line interference and try to ignore it, since the program/music always returns.

6. White Lightning

White Lightning To the end of the age of oil!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've noticed that buildings and other obstacles to the south of the vehicle can interfere with satellite signal, but other than that my XM is great!

7. Earman

Earman CDN Prius III Technology Blue

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have experienced so many cut out in the signal in the past 3 months (in Vancouver BC) that I can say with confidence that in my car I get a bit of static when it just cuts out, and also when it returns, and pure silence in between. I am finding the quality of XM sound acceptably good when it does not cut out but definitely not a great system in my car!

8. astroboomer

astroboomer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have not had that problem with my Sat Radio love it. If you have trees or maybe a garage interfering with the satellite reception that could be your static problem. If you have the problem out in the open I would take it back to your dealer and have them troubleshoot it.

9. RampantOctopus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, the problems roll on for me, and I think that this may be a much bigger issue than just one bad stereo...

OK, my stereo definitely has an issue and I bet yours does too. That said, the issue only seems to affect the XM module and people who are totally obsessed with audio-- for most, I imagine that the problem doesn't even phase them as the problem is pretty subtle until you experience a side-by-side comparison. I just so happen to own a portable Sirius unit (a Stilletto 2) which shares a lot of the same programming content with XM and I've been able to play crystal clear quality audio from my portable unit through the AUX-in jack in my Prius, and then for comparison sake, I switch to the same station on the JBL... The portable unit, even connected through a lousy headphone plug, simply puts the built in XM to shame.

So, I took the car into the dealership and after I played my little demonstration for them, they agree that there is a problem, but their solution is to replace the whole in-dash unit. At this point, I'm wondering if I should let them-- I have a hunch that the XM receiver isn't in the head unit and that letting them replace the whole unit will not improve anything.

At this point, I'm fairly certain that I've discovered a design flaw in the Premium Sound System, and maybe one that is isolated to cars with the solar roof option at that. As an AV professional myself, I think that there may be a problem in the system's grounding. That would explain everything...

My next step will be to go on to a Toyota lot and test out a couple other systems in new cars to see if they suffer the same problem. I also just so happen to work in Torrance, CA-- right around the corner from Toyota of America, if I can't get the dealership to fix this, I'm going to go to the source. So next time you are listening to your XM, ask yourself, is this really CD quality? It's especially exaggerated in treble and in talk radio... If you are having these issues too, I'd love to know, and if you're interested in what's happening, please stay tuned-- I'll be sure to update this thread my results along the way.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When my unit cuts out regularly in certain spots there is a hiss probably lasting a few seconds. One time in a different place it was silent when it lost signal.