1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Patrick Carter

Patrick Carter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The axxess is the same one my installed uses. Probably the most bang for the buck functionality wise.

2. MyOtherCarIsAPrius

MyOtherCarIsAPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there now a pre-made T-harness available instead of buying these 2 and making the joints?
    Do you know where I can find one?

I have a standard radio, want to keep it and add a cheap stealth radio.

Thanks

3. Killgore32

Killgore32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great job on all of the custom mods on the Gen 2 and later Prii. The stock CD player just went out on my 2002 Gen 1, and I am having a hard time finding any info about how to install an aftermarket stereo into it. Does anybody have any helpful info on the differences between the Gen 1s and the Gen 2s? I guess this is what I get by being an early adopter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. WNY-HYBRID

WNY-HYBRID Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! Super cool. I'm doing this this weekend. So I'm clear.. Is there a way to maintain the steering wheel controls for the radio? And which plug do you plug into the mfd to keep climate control?

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, unless you purchase a steering wheel control module for your new stereo.

You use the power plug on the factory stereo to maintain climate control and keep the MFD from blacking out. Otherwise you have to use the resistor method.

6. WNY-HYBRID

WNY-HYBRID Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know where I can find this? I've only found the one for the speaker wiring

7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    look on ebay for the metra axxess wiring kit, or call crutchfield. they should be able to hook you up with everything you need.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are referring to the steering wheel controls adapter you can get them at your local stereo shop, Best Buy, eBay, Crutchfield etc..

9. Gerard Altena

Gerard Altena Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like to salvage parts because of the enviroment.
    After reading 13 pages I figured out I need a BHA1761 and a BHO1761. Is it possible to cut the BHO1761 out of an old Prius gen 2 at the scrapyard?

10. Max-NZ

Max-NZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Had an Android unit installed in the 2009 Prius recently. Everything works fine, review is here -

Can provide installer contact if anyone has questions re: wiring, install, facetrims etc.

Auckland, New Zealand

SFO likes this.
  11. Scott McGregor

Scott McGregor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks F8L and so many on PriusChat for your help. I did a stealth install on 2005 non-JBL this weekend. Some notes:
    - Rockford Fosgate 6.5 inch 3 way's did not fit the car but I used the plastic from the OEM speakers and drilled 1/8" holes in them to secure speaker to the OEM plastic. Replaced rivet's with sheet metal screws.

- Wish I had gotten the component speaker instead (OEM tweeter still on but a good aftermarket one would sound better).

- Pioneer head unit MVH-X370BT fits well but hard to push the buttons due to plastic holder in the way. Could dremel it if over time seems needed. I love the remote because it has a Mute button (that way I can Mute ask my passengers what they said then music returns to same volume).

- Might add an amplifier. bass is plenty, but at low volume the clarity isn't as good as at loud volume.

12. older

older New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone ,great job with this post but i have a big question: in my car i have a built-in bluetooth and navigation system, no JBL.
    What happens with sound from bluetooth and navigation, i lose or go further.
    Expect an answer to know if i start replacing, thank to all of you for answers.

13. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any single DIN CD player should fit below the stock CD player. You'll just need 4 screws that are the right size. Your CD player may or may not come with them. If it doesn't, a trip to home depot with the CD player will find you the right screws. When I did mine, I found I had some screws in my screw collection from old projects that were an exact fit.

If you have the JBL system, you will need an adapter like that one, otherwise you'll need to replace your speakers as the front woofers are 2 ohms, and there's no crossover for the tweeters (crossover is digital and in amp underneath passenger's seat). The lowest rating 99% of CD players support is 4 ohm speakers. However I think just replacing the CD deck when you have the JBL system is a bit moot. You most likely won't get a lot better sound.

If you don't want to use that interface, buy a new set of component speakers for the front (and new speakers for the rear, or 1 ohm resistors). Then run wires from the CD deck to underneath the passenger's seat for the speakers and splice into where they were previously connected to the amp. This is the approach I would take as I would rather invest that $120 into nicer speakers. A decent set of components for your front can be had for $200, and to start I would just get 1 ohm resistors and wire them in series with the 3 ohm rear speakers bringing them up to 4 ohms and making them compatible with your aftermarket CD deck.

See this for more into on the JBL system: Prius JBL Audio system response, specs, and photos

#255 Kevin_Denver, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    SFO and Tomek310 like this.
  16. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great response. I just bought a used PAC TATO interface with SW interface off of ebay today as well as the radio. I'm excited about this project. What else do I need? Stock harnesses (BAH1761 & BOH1761)? Trim kit? Thank you for your time.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I have wired the interfaces and after connecting I get the red triangle. Also, the smallest connector on the car doesn't have a home. Is that ok? Please advise!

18. hughdaleharris

hughdaleharris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What type of 68 ohm resistor did you use? I see options for 1/4 watt, 1/2 watt, 1 watt, 2 watt, 5 watt, and 10 watt 68 ohm resistors at my local supplier of electronic components and electrical equipment.

19. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm looking to get the stealth install done by a professional installer. I talked to Best Buy and they said they can get it done. Their instructions call for resistor. Is resistor method still ok for the ones who already have had this install for a year or longer? Or is the two wiring harness the better method? If the two wiring harness is the better method, would Best Buy know what to do with it? Anyone had Best Buy or other pro installer do the stealth install? Thank you!

20. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius