1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Oct 16, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to add an update for anyone trying this type of install.

I swapped out the KDC-X591 stereo for a 2008 model KDC-X792 and the faceplate is a tad thicker on the newer unit and required some trimming to allow the faceplate to flip down properly. Since my unit is not mechanized it was no biggy but for those with a mechanized faceplate please be aware that trimming may be required so you don't harm the deck.

It was only the top portion of the plastic housing that needed trimming and you cannot see a difference once installed. I estimate I took off about 1/8" of plastic across the top portion. I don't have pics but if you simply install the plastic housing (the factory part with the smoke colored plastic flap) over the stereo and look at the top of the faceplate you'll see what i mean. ;)

2. armyjodonn

armyjodonn Junior Member

Can you post this procedure for all of us, please.

3. Emblazon

Emblazon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Install pics, please? Also, do you think it would be possible to install an in-dash DVD receiver with a motorized screen in this location? Or does the unit sit too far back so that the screen wouldn't be able to straighten completely?

4. tru.cutru

tru.cutru New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    of course if it is small enough. Measure the dimensions of the DVD player first before you buy it. But, yes some poeple have been able to fit DVD players in that compartment

5. Emblazon

Emblazon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

That's not what I meant. DIN size is going to be DIN size, with perhaps variation in the depth. What I'm curious about is, when the screen slides out of the receiver, will it slide out far enough to clear the stock radio above it.

Basically, when the screen is out, will it look like "-/" or "-\" and "-|", where the "-" is the bottom ridge of the stock stereo above, and the slashes are the DVD screen. I know the DVD receivers have adjustable screen angles, but will it slide out far enough to get a proper viewing angle...

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a link to the actual pdf. document describing the procedure. :)

Emblazon, I did not take any install pics as I did this in a rush between customers at work. It is a very straight forward prodcedure though. There are many threads here on PriusChat with detailed pics on how to take apart the dashboard. From there the install is pretty easy if you are familiar with car audio at all. If not then it may be worth the $40 or so to have a shop install it. :) I promise if i take my dash apart in the near future I will take better pics.

As for the DVD with motorized screen. I'm not really sure if it will work. I thought seriously about doing the same mod but decided against it for reason unrelated to install difficulty. I think if you were to space the unit out (further than is allowed by the Toyota factory brackets) then it might work. This may require a bit of fabrication but is within the realm of possibility. I just don't know that it would be nearly as simple as just ISO mounting a normal DIN unit in there without the screen issues.

7. krkl

krkl New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2002 Prius (~110K miles!) and the CD player conked out 1-2 years ago (doesn't read CDs, just spits em out). As suggested by Toyota dealer and encouraged by postings, I looked for an aftermarket deck. (didn't want to spend inflated Toyota price for so-so deck). Went to Best Buy and had a Sony MEX-BT2600 CD player (Bluetooth, detachable faceplate) installed yesterday. They replaced the basic CD player that was below the tape player, and had to remove the plastic door because the unit stuck out a bit.

BUT driving home realized that (a) I now seemingly have "infinite" mpg (the screen shows bogus data on mileage) and (b) I can't even read the Cd/tuner controls because the angle is so steep from driver side the blue LED is not visible (curiously, it's fine from passenger seat). The installer had said he would have to disable the tape player (goodbye to those pre-iPod cassette mix tapes of my youth), but I did not expect to have the readouts completely FUBARed.

I'm seeing dealer today for oil and maintenence so will ask him about the wiring. My questions:
    * How to make Prius screen and aftermarket stereo happy together?
    * How to fix visibility on Sony deck?
    * If I can't make Sony display visible, is there another unit that would work better?
    * Is there a reputable place in Sacramento/Davis CA area that can do this? (I'm an ecologist, but not a mechanic too like F8L)

I hope we can fix before our road trip to Seattle and BC end of week.

R

8. krkl

krkl New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Update on my previous post - the dealer's Prius mechanic was able to fix the wiring done by Best Buy to allow the upper display to work properly (show accurate fuel consumption). But cassette player will have to remain out of the loop (so much for books on tape). Strangely, this mechanic had never seen an aftermarket stereo installation. That's seems odd to me, given the plethora of Priuses (Priuii?) I see in Davis.

I'm happy to have a CD player again and will play with the bluetooth phone. Just have to memorize the buttons and tuner presets, because it's still nearly impossible to read the display in sunlight with the deck placed so low.

9. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I tried my own stealth install, except I completely removed the hinged door for easier access (not as stealthy). The opening was a little small so I had to cut the plastic to fit the cage for the head unit, but it worked out.

Attached Files:

10. kenyan

kenyan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    anybody have an idea if this works for 2001? i would like to install a sony too....or the next possible install

11. nathanial

nathanial New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How do I wire the jvc KD-AVX2 into my Prius with the display and still be able to see the factiry display?

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what you are asking. AVX2 sounds like a video model. If you are trying to put a double DIN unit in the car AND still see the factory display through the aftermarket screen then you may be venturing into new territory. :confused:

13. Trashthumb

Trashthumb New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a JVC deck as well and I'm wondering what I need to do to my 2007 Prius to install it in that empty spot below the factory radio. If someone could provide a simple step-by-step tutorial with some info about what tools are needed, it'd be greatly appreciated.

14. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had to do some cutting and grinding on the factory radio bracket to fit a standard size Sony CD player, so it's not exactly simple, but doable if you have patience. You mostly just need a Philips screwdriver, 10mm socket/ratchet, Dremel tool for cutting metal bracket and shaving plastic trim on the new stereo, and wire cutting/crimping tools. An aftermarket stereo adapter is recommended, so you don't have to cut into the factory wires. Leave the other factory stereo plug plugged into the factory stereo so your AC controls and MPG display will still work (extra resistor not needed if you do this).

I'm sure you can find instructions for removing the stereo somewhere on this site. Mainly you just work your way from left to right removing the vents and dash trim, then the radio can be easily removed with a 10mm socket, and the lower tray has philips screws I think. Once you try it you'll see disassambling and reassembling the dash is easy.

15. j_maxwell181

j_maxwell181 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I'm trying to this install into my 04 JBL equip Prius. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the factory head unit at all? Or any helpful pics of the wiring of the back of the factory head unit?

Thanks

16. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    See attached wiring diagram of the JBL stereo.

Attached Files:

17. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L: Way awesome install. If you could give a step by step, I would totally do this to my 2007 Base Prius. If email works for you, it's my handle rxmxsh at yahoo dot com. That same stereo is on Amazon for $129 now, lol. :) I am a fan of Kenwood.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would do it in a heartbeat but it has been so long that I cannot remember exactly step by step how to do it. One I start my treatments I will have a bit more time to warrant taking everything apart and snapping pics of the install and writing up the "how to" for this. I should have done it long ago but I didn't think many would be interested. I just moved and do not have any real tools here or I'd just go downstairs and do it right now. lol

Let me see what I can do.

19. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm VERY interested in doing this. I would say once I have a little more in-depth instructions, I'll do this in a heartbeat.

20. fiftyplus

fiftyplus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I too am interested in any kind of help specific to the actual stereo install. I read through the metra pdf so taking the dash apart is no biggie. But if you could provide even a pic or two of how you mounted the stereo onto the factory bracket, that would be a tremendous help.