1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Oct 16, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I promise I'll work on getting pics for you guys. I work 7 days this week and have no tools at home right now but I'll figure something out. :)

2. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No rush, man. When you get around to you, you get around to it. :)

3. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't mount to the factory bracket. I used the mounting cage that comes with aftermarket car stereos, where you bend the tabs to hold it in the cutout. I had to widen (with a Dremel tool) the cutout (left by removing the storage shelf) slightly to fit the mounting cage.

Attached Files:

• cage.JPG
      cage.JPG
      File size:
      12 KB
      Views:
  4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so here are some shots how the wiring harness went together and how the aftermarket stereo bolted to the factory bracket. I am assuming you have obtained the "How to Remove the Prius Factory Stereo" write up so I am only detailing the wiring and mounting of the aftermarket stereo here.

In the first picture you can see a jumble of wires. There are 3 harnesses in there. One is the factory Toyota harness. One is an aftermarket harness designed to interface to your new stereo and the factory Toyota harness (BHA1771). The 3rd harness is an aftermarket piece designed to fit into your factory Toyota stereo, it effectively simulates the factory Toyota harness.

First picture: Shows the wiring harnesses installed in the vehicle.

Second Picture: Shows the stereo installed in the car and the factory bracket mounting screws. These must be removed to remove the factory stereo and bracket assembly.

Third and Fourth Pictures: Shows the assembly and stereos removed from the car. This details the mounting locations on the aftermarket stereo and its general alignment with the factory stereo.

The harnessed I used can be found HERE and at your local car audio retailer. Metra Electronics carries the exact same harnesses but under a different part number.

Attached Files:

jtong77 and Rxmxsh like this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm terrible with writing out instructions and I'm distracted with a health issues so if you are still confused after this newest write up feel free to email or PM me and I'll do my best to help out. :)

6. fiftyplus

fiftyplus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bho1761?

F8L, thanks for the pictures! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

After looking at the first picture of the wiring, I have a new question for you. I purchased my receiver from Crutchfield and they included a wiring harness, the equivalent of the BHA1761. I know how to connect this one. My question is, do I need to have BHO1761 as well? I followed the link and couldn't find this kit number listed, so I'm not sure if it's a typo. I thought that I could tap into the power, ground and ignition using the cables from the BHA1761 kit? Can you please elaborate on this second kit? Thanks!

I should add, I have the non JBL stereo so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Bho1761?

I'm not sure why they don't list the second harness. I didn't see it on the site either but they do indeed make one. If you want to avoid using the 66ohm resistor mod then yes, you will need the BHO1761. The BHO1761 is a factory style harness. We use the in the event a customer comes in with a "cut" wire harness from a previously botched stereo install. This harness fits directly into your factory radio. All we are using this harness for is to supply power to the stock stereo so it stays powered up and in the loop so we don't get the Climate Control error codes that come with taking the stock stereo out. There may be other ways around this, the 66ohm resistor being one of them, but this way worked easily for me. :)

The easiest way to picture this installation is to pretend you are wiring up a new stereo with just the BHA1761. Connect your aftermarket stereo wires to the BHA1761 then plug the BHA7161 harness into your factory toyota stereo harness.

From here you want to plug the BHO1761 harness into your factory stereo but now you have loose wires on one end right? Simply use 3 wire taps and tap into the 12v Constant Power (yellow), 12v IGN (red), and Ground (Black) on the BHA1761. Tape up the remaining wires and you're done. :)

Here is a link to an online source that carries the BHO1761. I have never purchased anything from this site so buyer beware. Any reputable car audio retailer that sells Best Kits products can get the BHO1761 for you.

4 people like this.
  8. fiftyplus

fiftyplus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, that makes perfect sense now. I'll search around local shops to see if they carry it, otherwise I'll purchase online. Now I get why the extra cables are all taped up. I was wondering about that. :)

9. Karthik

Karthik New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L,

Many thanks for your work. It helped a great deal and inspired me to install one myself too. The total cost for the stereo install was 55 for the JVC player (ipod/satellite/HD Radio/Bluetooth compatible with extra adapters) and 3 $ for the harness. I left the 20 wire connector attached to the factory radio so I did not need the 68 ohm resistor mod.

Karthik

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My pleasure Karthik. I thank you for posting your thanks. It made me feel pretty good that I was able to help others with this thread. :)

11. Mr Prius

Mr Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. i just bought 2007 prius. i want to change the stereo. i bought the dash kit (scosche TA2103B). Can someone please tell me if i can install a double din into my prius?

12. BoostedTimmy

BoostedTimmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, I bought the car just about a week ago and looked at that little compartment and said "That's where my aftermarket radio is going!" Looks like I'm not the only one :)

I did about the same thing as you except I did not use the aftermarket cage, my radio needed to be bolted directly to the factory cage.

I may use the dash kit that I got free with my order and put the factory bin that was where the stereo now is and mount it into the dash kit, so I would just have 2 compartments there instead of a dead stereo.

Heres my setup, not a Dual fan at all but with the features on this unit at this price I couldnt pass it up, and I'd highly recommend it.

Dual XHD7714 HD Radio/CD Receiver
    PAC SWI-PS - Steering wheel controls
    PAC TATO Toyota JBL Interface JBL Interface

After a 20 dollars off coupon online, this was all only 270 shipped and it came with the dash kit and some other crap free. All steering wheel functions except the bluetooth buttons and the temp + - buttons work, not sure why the temp buttons will not work.

Attached Files:

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't use the aftermarket cage either. The new stereo bolts directly to the factory Toyota brackets. :)

Looks good man!

14. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks F8L for the very helpful thread.

I think this is a great install option, I followed your method in Aug'08 and have been very pleased with the results. I installed a Pioneer DEH-P6000 directly into the factory mount and had no clearance issues with the face.

I'm posting to add a picture of the wiring harness I used, which I think you referred to in post 15. The one on page 5 looks more complicated - is that because you changed the speaker wiring? I used the stock speaker wires and this wiring harness, leaving the "20-connector" connected to the back of the stock head unit.

I installed Polk audio DB6501 comps in the front without an amp. It sounds MUCH better than stock. Now I have iPod control and clean line outs for the sub (and future front-end amp, I like to feed by addiction in stages).

Cheers.

Edit: For anyone considering this, I didn't need to add a resistor because the stock radio is still connected (but not powered), the steering wheel controls for the radio don't work (I don't mind), and the steering wheel controls for climate work normally.

Attached Files:

jtong77 likes this.
  15. ICMS

ICMS New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

F8L...you mention putting a 66ohm resistor inline on the climate control harness, but WHAT specific WIRES did you put the resistor on?

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The post above yours shows you how we wired up the stereo without having to use the resistor mod. I prefer to do it this way as there is less of a chance of having problems. I suggest doing it that way but if you would rather not then I'm attaching the Metra installation guide which explains the resistor mod. :)

Attached Files:

17. 2Txns

2Txns New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    F8L, I might just have to stop by your place then next time we go to visit family up that way. :car: I'm a great assistant if you need help with my installation.:D

Thank you for your posts/pictures on your install. I noticed that every one on this thread has done the install with the stock stereo and not the upgraded JBL system. So maybe, I just need a subwoofer to cure my problem:confused:

18. BoostedTimmy

BoostedTimmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I should probably add that the temperature buttons do in fact work. I was very new to the car and didn't realize the HVAC simply was turned off. With the control adapter kit all buttons work spare the voice commands button and I think one other completely useless one, it's well worth the money. The dash install kit comes with the resistor and instructions as to where to put it. The JBL system simply sounds amazing with the HD Radio, Bluetooth, and USB inputs, it is very crisp. I might throw a subwoofer in to sweeten the noise.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for showing better pics of the wiring harness for clarification. On my setup I did not use the speaker wire harness for the frpont speakers because I ran new larger wires from the amp directly to the doors. I did, however, us the rear speaker outputs on the aftermarket deck for the rear speakers in the event I have rear passengers and want to turn them on. My wiring is almost always a mess and complicated looking because I generally do my installs while on a short lunch break and in between helping customers. So I apologize for the mess. :D

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you only knew how much I hate installing audio equipment. Haha

An quality aftermarket deck always helps with better sound quality and will give you many more features. You can keep your JBL system and add a subwoofer if you feel that the missing low end response is what is making you unhappy with the sound. IMO all systems need some sort of dedicated low end frequency reproduction equipment but I'm also sort of a basshead so take that opinion with a grain of salt. :)