1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steering gear oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by randerson9248, May 11, 2014.

1. randerson9248

randerson9248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just recently bought a 2005 prius. It had a few issues that I have been addressing.

Last issue is that the steering wheel has a very slight bind/sticking in the straight ahead position. Very slight steering corrections needed when driving straight down the road are annoying because of this bind/sticking. Steering is smooth and bind free through the entire range of left to right travel, except for straight ahead (center).

Does the steering gear have oil or grease that is replaceable? If so, what id the proceedure?

Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The steering has an electric motor to provide assist.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    has the steering shaft recall been done? your tires could also be the cause of what you are experiencing. Look at both front tires and see if any of the edges are more worn than the other. If so, just rotate the rear wheels to the front and see if it changes things.

4. randerson9248

randerson9248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks.

Four new tires last week. No change with new tires. the binding is a little worse during the heat of mid-day, rather than the cool of the morning. Feels like steering gear or a binding universal joint to me.

Don't know if steering column recall was done. My guess would be no. What does toyota do on that recall.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would call your local toyota dealer and schedule the recall service, it's completely free and it's an important recall. That may be the problem to your steering issue.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Inspect the intermediate steering shaft and replace if needed. Replace a bolt that secures the shaft.

I suggest that you report your concerns to the service writer so the tech can look for any other problems with the steering gear.

7. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds a lot like the steering shaft recall issue. Get it fixed for free at the dealer. Look at the luscious garage website to see what is going on down there if you are curious.

8. Fred2726

Fred2726 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm having a similar issue. I just bought my 2004 and all the recalls have been completed. I test drove a couple other Prii, and the one I bought seems to have a little stickier steering. All my recalls have been done according to Toyota Owners site. It is a one owner car with an excellent service history.

Thanks
    Fred

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like no one answered the OP's question on the oil/grease. My guess is there is no replaceable lubricant as I haven't heard about anyone doing it (in any car).

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My post #2 was intended to answer the OP's question. Since the Prius has an electric motor to provide assist, there is no hydraulic fluid or grease that requires replacement.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think one needs to clarify that every steering system is internally lubricated by grease. Electric assist means there is no hydraulic fluid for sure, but I don't think this is what the OP asked.

How to lubricate the steering system | How a Car Works

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota repair manual does not have any info regarding replacing lubricating fluid or grease within the steering gear.

13. andrewsilver

andrewsilver Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I have the same issue with slight binding/sticking on center with my 2007 Prius Touring 87000 miles - also more noticeable during the heat of the day.

I've read about an intermediate shaft recall but I did not get a notice. After reading more, I'm not sure whether or not the intermediate shaft solves the issue. Anxious to figure out how to fix my steering, thanks.