1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering is very stiff and heavy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Mar 17, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello Folks,

I had my recall done not long ago on my steering shaft recall, Toyota replaced the shaft. When I got the car back, the steering wheel was not centered, brought it back and they centered it for me. Fast forward to now, about 4 months, my steering wheel feels really heavy when I turn. It's the same regardless if I turn left or right, it feels really heavy. Like I have very little power steering.

I've been reading online and I read some have mentioned a "Zero Point Calibration" to fix this issue. Does anyone have knowledge to what this is and will it possibly help my problem?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The zero point calibration allows the power steering ECU to know where the straight ahead position of the steering gear is.

If you had a problem with uneven steering effort, the zero point calibration might help. Since in your case the effort is the same whether turning left or right, it is not obvious that procedure would help.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder what could be causing the stiff steering feel. I'll hook up techstream and see if I can find an adjustment. Disconnecting the battery a week ago didn't help it.

SM-N900P ?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the full list of issues that might cause "heavy steering":

1. Front tires (Improperly inflated, unevenly worn)
    2. Front wheel alignment (Incorrect)
    3. Front suspension (Lower ball joint)
    4. Steering gear assy
    5. Torque sensor (built into steering column)
    6. Steering column assy
    7. Power steering motor
    8. Battery and power source system
    9. Power source voltage of power steering ECU assy

10.Power steering ECU assy

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, process of elimination.

Ok, I'll see which ones I can eliminate first and then come back for more help. Thanks.

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On that list, if there is a problem with the power steering supply or ECU, there is often, but not always, a "PS" error msg on the display. Also, the brushes in the power steering motor can become worn or stuck, again not necessarily generating a "PS" msg. Several reports of those two here.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have any errors on my MFD. I have to hook up my MiniVci and see if there are any DTCs. There is still some assist on the power steering, just not a whole lot. There is much more effort needed to turn the car, somewhat feels like a 2010 model steering but a little heavier still.

My mom drives this car and I know she hits the curb often when she parks and she makes a lot of U turns, turning the car's steering wheel fully to the left or right many times. The alignment doesn't seem to be too bad, the car tracks straight and doesn't veer off to any direction.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hey JC, FWIW, I noticed the same thing after the steering shaft recall was completed on my 2006 Prius. To me, the best way I can describe it is that the steering does not feel as fluid as it used to be. I just presumed that because they replace the part that it was a lot tighter and was hoping that it would free up in time.

I'd be keen to know if you find anything to make it feel more like it used to feel.

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    dolj,

Do you know if they changed the intermediate shaft and three bolts or just the one bolt? The procedure varied depending on the countersink on the questionable part.

Had the recall done on our 09. All they did was change the one bolt. No difference of feel in our steering.

I attached a file that details the recall, and the procedure to do the repairs with diagrams and detailed instructions.

Ron (dorunron)

Attached Files:

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TBH Ron, I have no idea exactly what was done.

11. Sommeregger

Sommeregger New Member

Vehicle:
    1999 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After fuses blow up in1999 Prius, the car turns hard when driving slowly. what is the cause? Fuses were replaced.
    Walter

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, you've got a pre-generation-1 Prius, I can't even encourage you to post in the specific forum, because I don't think we have a forum for that model! Probably your steering is most similar to the Gen 1 steering, you could ask a moderator to move this post to that forum.

Which fuses blew? When / why? Or at least, which fuses have you replaced, and how sure are you they are the only ones needing replacement?

The Gen 1 Prius steering computer can report diagnostic status over Techstream (using, for example, the inexpensive Mini VCI to scan). Of course, I don't know whether that is also true of your pre-Gen 1 model. Worth a try though.

Absent a scan tool, the Gen 1 steering computer is also able to blink two-digit trouble codes for you on a light. You have to provide the light; the manual will show how to select an LED and a resistor, and connect them between the WL terminal and (either +12 or ground, I forget, need to look it up) with correct polarity, and trigger the blink codes, and it also has the troubleshooting information you need based on what codes you have. Here again, I'm only guessing whether your Gen 0 steering is similar enough for that to apply.

In the US, techinfo.toyota.com is the site for the manuals; elsewhere, I don't know the correct URL.

-Chap

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's WL and ground. Here's a post showing how I did it ... 8 years ago, I just added the light permanently up by the instrument cluster, so I would be able to check codes any time and forget about the connection details (which, as you see, I did).

-Chap

... of course all these details depend on your wiring diagram being similar enough to my Gen 1 for them not to be all wrong ... I would definitely check first.