1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Rack Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SAgirl, Aug 4, 2014.

1. SAgirl

SAgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good day, I drive a 2010 Prius (South Africa) with 150000kms and after some noise from the from front wheel took it to the dealership to be checked out. Was told that my steering rack and gearbox needs replacement as it is faulty. I cannot understand how this happened? Are there any other drivers who has had the same problems

2. WickedV

WickedV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not knowing the specifics of the problem make that hard to answer. But yes have a problem with my steering too.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I smell BS. They don't break in Toyotas that much.

4. WickedV

WickedV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow it's been years, found the cause of my issue...... the cross member was bent. I bought what I assumed was a new car from a local Toyota dealership. Turns out, not only did it have a bent cross member from new? The front and rear bumper caps had been repainted.
    While the car is sound now, Toyota did nothing to rectify any of this, rather stuck their proverbial head in the sand? More interesting info, both struts and both shocks blew by 16 thousand miles?
    Bought new tools tho, sadly I don't think I will ever have need for DeFelsko PosiTector again, but should I, well I do lol.
    Ordered a Lexus LFA years ago now and once I finally found the root of my Prius issues, promptly canceled it and swore of anything built by these crooks.

#4 WickedV, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you confronted the dealership?

6. WickedV

WickedV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes and Toyota corp, became even more a nightmare, None follow up on anything and frankly I don't have time for this, but that is what they pray for right? No More Toyota anything, all warehouses now use hyundi lifts and my wife only gets Mercs.
    It's a shame really, Toyota was a good brand in my oppinion till this, but their inablity to stand up for what's right and hide what is so wrong, well it's lost them big, but they are big enough to not care!
    Was the one who agreed to the prius when my wife just had to have one, had devisons driving them, and do acutualy like the prius, just with the shinagans, never again. Hehe, will tho drive this one into the ground just to prove a point.
    Lol, yeah I don't see the point anymore either. Still a good car tho made by an unscrupulous company who has a distorted vision.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that happened to my brother a long time ago. new bmw, drove funny, dealer said nothing wrong, refused to do anything.
    took it to a mechanic, he said the whole front end was twisted, suspected they dropped it off the boat. he noticed some overspray that didn't look factory, took it to a body shop who said a lot of work had been done on it.

8. WickedV

WickedV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ha, not a fan of bmw's (siemens) either, but yes a lot can happen during freight and passed on to the consumer.

9. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it to a reputable front end alignment shop for second opinion. Usually steering racks don’t fail mechincally but they can develope leaks from worn seals. Wear items such as inner tie rods is most likely the case. Dealers would rather sell you a complete steering rack as unposed to repairing.