1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel on Prius C slightly off center.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Kirkuleez, Mar 14, 2012.

1. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I realize the stigma on digging up old threads.. but I thought this was comical because the SAME exact thing happened to me on the same exact vehicle... except I waited for the 5k to get it "fixed". Everything else is exactly the same. I wonder if we have the same dealer?

I guess it is comforting to know that the wheels are now aligned -- because the dealer said the alignment was off.... but I fail to see why the wheel should not be perfectly center. It is not an optical illusion or anything like that..

I know everyone says "take it back" but the dealership is not right down the street. If your Toyota dealer is like mine, it's naturally out of the way and they take forever. I prefer to do anything that I can do, myself... because there's probably a 50/50 chance if I take it back again, I'll have the same issue reversed, it'll be worse, or not completely 100%.

2. Johnshares

Johnshares New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings from Western Australia,
    I bought my 2013 Prius C a couple of months ago. I too noticed the steering wheel is off centre - 11.55 - So maybe this is a Toyota situation. I'm having a service on Monday and have already mentioned this situation to the workshop, but to be honest, I had the feeling it would be put in the "too hard basket ". But thanks to the forum for opening my eyes to the situation.
    But what a great car,
    John

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Is 11.55 a "clock" position? In other words, if you hold the wheel centered, the car steers slightly to the right?

Loosen both tie rod end lock nuts, and turn the inner portion of each rod (which is hex-shaped, if it's still like my Gen 1), by the same slight amount in the same direction: if you are working from beneath the car and your wrench projects down from the tie rod, move the end of the wrench toward the rear of the car, for both sides. (If you prefer to visualize the direction as you face the tire from each side of the car, this would be turning the right inner tie rod "clockwise" and the left one "anticlockwise".) Tighten the lock nuts back to the spec from the manual and drive the car. Repeat until the centering is as perfect as you like. If you go too far and it steers the other way, turn the rods slightly in the other direction. Not sure why it would go in the too-hard basket.

For a final touch, stop at your favorite alignment shop and have them check that the toe-in is still within tolerance. If it was before you began, and you turned the rods by the same amounts, it still should be, or require only the smallest correction.

Bob Wilson advised us some years ago of an alignment-shop chain (in the US, Firestone) that offers a "lifetime" alignment service; you pay for it once, and they'll check your alignment gratis any time after that, always useful if you've taken something apart. I don't know whether any shop in your area would have a similar offer.

Before doing this, have you checked that all tires are at the proper pressure and equal left-to-right, and both wheels spin freely, no unusual brake drag, etc., on either side?

-Chap

4. donnalaf

donnalaf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Mines a C1 2012. Bought it right out of the showroom. Noticed it a week later,steering wheel slightly to the left. Drove perfectly straight. I have only 23 thousand miles on it, did my tire rotations when needed. Tires are wearing evenly. I don't like that the steering wheel isn't straight. Will it cost to get this fixed?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Depends ... do you own wrenches that fit the tie rod end locknuts, and the flats on the inner rod and the rod end?

-Chap

6. Johnshares

Johnshares New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks ChapmanF for your reply. Yes, as you stated. Service fixed up the angle, no great deal for them. I was able to come straight home - joke-
    3.7 ltr / 100 Kim.

7. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I haven't had great luck with Firestone alignments...taken 3 cars there and while they advised the alignment wasn't bad, they always manage to have the steering wheel off center to the left, I guess 11:55 position. I've had to take all 3 back where they then usually over-correct the issue.

oh and centering the steering wheel SHOULD be part of getting an alignment and it pisses me off to get a car back fresh from an alignment with the steering wheel off center. I would be embarrassed to give a customer a car back like that....do these mechanics not test drive the cars after???? do they have zero pride in their work?

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is off center, does not bother me, over time you just forget about it!:cool: