1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel "Sluggish" and Not Returning to Center

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Mar 12, 2011.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My friend has a 06 Prius with about 85,000 miles.

Ever since he purchased the car (used) at about 67,000 miles, I've noticed that the steering wheel is slow to return to center and the steering lacks the "springy feel" of the low-mileage Priuses that I have driven. I noticed abnormal tire wear on the car so I suggested 4 new tires and an alignment-- which was done without any improvement. The front toe was set to 0, and the rear toe is minimal (0.05 and 0.1 on the LR and RR, respectively). However, I did not have a zero-point calibration performed at the time of the alignment.

There is no obvious damage or wear to the suspension, as far as I know. Recently though, the steering wheel has decided to clock itself to the right so I know it needs another alignment. It has only been 17k since the last one. Are there any parts that I should consider replacing before doing this alignment?

Thanks.

2. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tires/tire pressures?

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pressures are set to 40F/38R. Lower pressures don't make much of a difference either.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This doesn't sound good. There may be worn parts in the suspension or the steering gear itself.

Considering that the steering system is vital to safe operation of the vehicle, I recommend that the steering and suspension should be checked out by a local Toyota dealer.

5. sstk100

sstk100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could well be the steering rack.....they do what your describing when going bad.