1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sticky Shifter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by E Risch, Sep 3, 2015.

1. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So i am wondering if anyone has come across this issue & found a solution to a the problem i am having with my '04, my shifter stays in the "D" position when selected. The previous owner said it did not use to do that when new, it does not do it when "R" or "B" are selected, so perhaps something inside is awry or something was spilled on it. I thought I may take it apart and clean/lube it.
    thanks for any advice

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This sounds like one of those really cheap or really expensive things.
    The sticky shifter might really be.......sticky.

It's not a shifter per-se.....but a stick that actuates several push button switches.
    If this part is worn or has had one too many lattes spilled on it, then it's fairly simple to replace........on a G3.

Good Luck!

3. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Others have had this problem. There is a piece of plastic that acts as a dust cover near the front of the shifter (keeps dust from getting in around the stem of the shifter) that has warped out of shape. The fix is to remove the shifter from the dash and disassemble front of shifter till you can get at the offending piece of warped plastic. Pare away warped part of dust cover to restore free movement, reassemble, reinstall and it's fixed.

I made this sound harder than it is. The fix is discussed here in Prius chat but I can't find it. There's even a youtube video too. Maybe someone else can direct you to the thread. I'd like to know how to do that myself!

donbright likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    good video to have saved, im sure mine will melt in the florida heat sooner or later

6. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Mine was doing that too when I bought her. What you should do instead is to move the shifter back to its resting position after shifting.

7. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Koolingit & Xliglider that gets me in the know, maybe I'll get to pull apart the dash next weekend

xliderider and koolingit like this.
  8. Jamez P

Jamez P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Same with my 04'. I manually move it back to position. I once parked, hit the "park" button and took my foot off the brake only to have it roll forward into my trashcans. It won't go into park with the shift lever stuck in "D". I was just glad it happened at home. Armed with the help from this forum, I'm fixing that freekin thing this weekend!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe report to NHTSA,

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh for the love of Pete, a sixteen year old moving user-interface part gets a little sticky in motion, sounds more like time to take it out and unstick it than like a case for NHTSA.

It probably needs its light bulb replaced by about now too; won't add any time to do when it's already out.

11. Jamez P

Jamez P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good idea about the bulb. I wasn't really THAT worried about that I would involve NHTSA. I'm used to and I'm the only one that drives it. It just bugs me, but only enough to fix if it's easy. It's looks like it may be a simple fix. :)