1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sticky stuff in park button how to clean

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Malia, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Malia

Malia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A glow stick broke and the fluid fell into the park button yesterday. The park button has gotten progressively difficult to push today. Once I get the console off how do you know how I would get to the park button? Judging from the video below looks like there are things to disconnect? I am also wondering how I should clean the button...was going to use rubbing alcohol?

Lesson learned, don't leave a glow stick necklace hanging on the rear view mirror in a hot prius... urrggh

Thank you for your help!

2. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Rubbing alcohol. 99% Or CRC makes an electrical contact cleaner... Either way.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Posted in pm thread the OP started with me:

4. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be careful with contact cleaner. Some of that stuff doesn't like plastic. DeOxit ain't what it used to be after the EPA band it about 20 or so years ago. Good for cleaning dusty contacts but does nothing for worn out pitted ones. In fact, cleaning off goo (especially when some fool uses black electrical tape) is about all it's good for. I'd go for rubbing alcohol and a Qtip. Be very careful if you use a heat gun. Those things can melt plastic into a puddle in a few seconds.

#4 Stratman, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. Malia

Malia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After work today I was able to pry the console off, it was a little challenging at first but once I got off the upper left corner of the console it was easy to get off. I couldn't get the park button electrical portion to snap off like the hazards and EV Eco power drive did. See photo below.

Not sure if the park electrical portion is supposed to be able come off?

I used CRC and rubbing alcohol and a qtip and a hair dryer with cool air on high. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. I added some pics below so you can see what the inside of the console electrical looks like.

FYI : ) I stopped by my mechanic and he told me to take it to the servco when I called the servco they told me to go to a car detailer.

Thank you all again! When I reinstalled it this evening the sticky button problem seems resolved.

Attached Files:

6. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)If there is a next time... try a little WD40.

7. Malia

Malia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was hesitant since I am dealing with electrical I would be scared to spray it into the break button. Have you used it around electrical?

8. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Yes.

9. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    There's no problem using WD40 around low-voltage electrical components, but I wouldn't use it on your button as it leaves an oily residue which will absorb dust and become sticky over time. And like the contact cleaner which Stratman mentioned above, it may not be safe on all plastics.

11. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)It works and the results aren't as dismal as you state.

12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The switch is easy to remove, and the car will operate just fine without it attached to the connector.

I'd take it off and blast it with water from a garden hose an work it under water until it is free, Then, I'd blow the water with a low pressure blow gun and put it in the hot attic in your house to dry it out,

If that doesn't work, a used panel with the switch is cheap on eBay. I have an extra one, but I'm NOT allow to solicit to sell it, here.

A new one can be had for about $50.

It is #6 in the diagram.

2010 Toyota Prius Parts - Frank Toyota, Scion & Hyundai

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tap water isn't a good idea. Many locales have chlorine and or fluorine in the water, as well as hard water (minerals). All of these will damage the electronic connections. Distilled water is much better, followed with alcohol, to remove much of the water before drying.

Rude person's, you are allowed to sell single items in Private Sales just as any other member here. It's different from importing and selling items, or fabricating and selling in items in quantity.