1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still trying to optimize MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PsyPrius, Jul 24, 2006.

1. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

Hi all-

I have read through so many articles on enhancing MPG on the Prius, and thought I developed a "Prius foot". However, I am noticing that my MPG in the city is average 44 MPG, and on the highway about 56 MPG. Shouldn't the Prius get better MPG in the city?
    Also, since I purchased this car in March, I have driven it very gently, but noticed that my MPG improved from 40MPG to 56 MPG on the highway if I accelerate more deliberately and more often.
    For those who put my MPG to shame, what is the best technique to optimize MPG on highway as well as city driving? If you think there is one past article that everyone would agree is teh most reliabel in terms of techniques, I would greatly appreciate you pointing me to that one.

Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "City", as defined by the EPA, is a MUCH different thing that what most of us would call 'city driving' in real life. The frequent stops, accelerations and sudden stops are killers for gas mileage period. A bad 'city' drive will always be harder on your mileage than highway driving.

If you're getting 56hwy then you're doing fine there. Without seeing or a much better understanding of what "Your" city driving is (distance, stops, speeds, how you anticipate stops and slow downs, how you handle hills, etc) there is no 'one article' that will help you. At this point it really comes down to either changing your route to one that's more amenable to the Prius HSD's unique benefits or to get someone in the seat with you (ok, next to you is probably better) to watch what you do an make suggestions.

I'll say that probably the A#1 thing is that, in the city, you MUST anticipate stops. If you're going to have to stop, even if it's 1/2 mile ahead, but you know you're going to have to stop, get off the gas, feather the pedal and get into your glide and coast that entire 1/2 mile if at all possible. Better yet, go even slower and don't EVER stop....just wait until that traffic starts moving and keep moving with it.

The key here is to do it in a way that doesn't completely piss off everyone behind you, but allows you to take full advantage of the ability of the ICE to shut off, minimize the use of the battery, AND still cover ground.

Absolutely make sure your tire pressure is good, AC use is minimal, don't ever speed, and once you hit 35mph get off that gas and get into a glide when possible.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just what Evan said!! Two big things in real city traffic, and I mean that big one by the lake, is to pump up your tire pressure and learn to GLIDE. In the city itself it doesn't matter how you accelerate and you can't pulse/glide like in suburban traffic, but you have to GLIDE.

Wayne

4. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

Thanks Evan and Wayne! I have my tire pressure at 42/44 psi all around. I'm assuming I should not got higher on that. And, I just hit 5000 on the ODO, and am planning on 5W30 synthetic (Castrol or Mobil 1). Hopefully, this type of oil will aid as well. And Evan, if I have someone with me, I will try to keep them off my lap while I drive ;-)

Thanks!

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now that the seating arrangements are clarified, I will extend to you an offer as a co-pilot next meet-up.

Wayne

6. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jul 25 2006, 08:31 PM) [snapback]292321[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Wayne!

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Also, something you might want to try is to put all the seats down except the drivers seat. It helps with aerodynamics.

8. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 25 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]292403[/snapback]</div>

Well, I did a personal nose and ear hair trimmer to cut down on aerodynamics, but I will impliment this as well!

9. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 26 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]292403[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: