Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

Storing my 2011 Prius III for 5 months

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubles' started by stevengolfs, Oct 2, 2011.

Social Buttons

1. stevengolfs

stevengolfs Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife and I will be in Florida this winter and are leaving our 2011 Prius III in the garage for 5 months. Unfortunately, we have nobody that we can ask to drive the car periodically, so it will just sit in the garage. I've read some of the older posts on storage recommendations, but I'm wondering if things have changed with the new models? I'm planning to connect a battery tender to the small 12 volt battery...leaving the negative terminal on the battery so that all the memory features i.e. clock, radio presets, auto window, etc. won't have to be reprogrammed. I'll turn the smart key system off, fill the gas tank and add Stabil to the fuel. If this doesn't sound like the recommended way to store the car, please let me know. Also...please offer any other suggestions for things that I should do in preparation for storage. Thank you!
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, I don't know if anything changed or if there's a newer version of the TSB cited at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-dead-after-17-days-parking-2.html#post955609.

There was no major change to the Prius between the 2010-2011 model years, esp. not the HV battery pack. It's unclear (to me) if procedures/advisories changed.

Based on the TSB, I suggest not leaving the car unattended for that long. Personally, I wouldn't keep an extra car if it were going to be idle for 5 months of the year. I'd either drive it to Florida or get someone to run it periodically per the TSB.
    1 person likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may want to pump up the tires to avoid flat spots.
    2 people like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    ^ The above's good, basically what Toyota does when shipping vehicles. Even better if you can: lift the car and settle it onto jackstands at all four corners, high enough so the wheels are slightly off the floor.

Also, leave at least one window open an inch or so.

Also, lift the wipers off the glass and keep them off with rags stuffed under the arms.
    1 person likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    Other Electric Vehicle

I would NOT do this. That's an open invitation for mice, roaches, and other organisms to move right in for the winter. :eek: Lots of motorcyclists store their rides for the winter and it's not uncommon to find a mouse nest in the airbox come spring time. So you might want to plug the entrance and leave a note on the steering wheel as a reminder to remove it.

Another tip is to "fog" the cylinders via the spark plug holes with a light lubricant such as wd-40 to keep the piston rings from rusting/sticking. Personally, I would only do this step for super long storage.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    ^ You're likely right. Come to think of it, the car's likely not air tight, with the Heat/Vent intakes etc.
  7. jbgggg

jbgggg New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I go to Florida for four months every winter. My 2010 Prius stays in the garage. I stabilize the fuel and make sure the traction battery is full. After that I disconnect the negative battery cable and put a gardening glove over the hatch latch so it can't lock. The 12V battery is an AGM battery and they do not lose much charge when there is no drain. When I return I reconnect the negative cable and the car starts up with no problem. The only thing I have to reenter are my radio station buttons and the clock. Everything else seems to hold their programs. Hope this helps.
    4 people like this.
  8. web1b

web1b Active Member

That sounds really unsafe.