1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Straddling Two Worlds

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PearlJammer, Nov 19, 2011.

1. PearlJammer

PearlJammer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Last night, my wife and I went out to dinner and she suggested we take her car (2011 BMW 5 series) with me driving. I had not driven her car since I bought my Prius nearly a month ago. Much to my surprise, I found that my driving skills had changed after exclusively piloting the Prius for the past few weeks and that I had to make a conscious effort not to over apply pressure to the BMW's seemingly very touchy brake and accelerator pedals. At first, I was jerking the car forward from a standing start and then whiplashing us when braking. Needless to say, my wife was looking at me like I was having a stroke or something. Eventually, I got the feel of feathering the pedals but I really had to think about it. Anybody else experience this?:confused:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did and still do on occasions.

My C5 Corvette was very touchy compared to the Prius. The GMC Sierra (twin-turbo 712rwhp) as also touchy but moreso at highway speeds such that trying to pass was quite scary if you had forgotten how much power was on tap. Full throttle would induce wheelspin at 90mph if 4wd was not engaged!

E ventuallyI sold everything in favor of the Prius. Now I drive my girlfriend's Rav4 and it is very touchy. Side I know allow about the looks your wife gives you when driving the BMW. lol

3. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, everytime I get behind the wheel of my old ride and anyone else's....except for, of course, my sister's Gen II.

4. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I have to get used to the touchy accelerator of my LS430 and it's quaint, old-fashioned friction brakes. However, I have no trouble with the comfort and quiet of that car; the antique walnut and black semi-aniline leather; and features like the power door closers. Pardon me while I go for a ride.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i get just the opposite. in my Leaf if set it to eco, that maximizes regen and reduces accelerator pedal response. so instead of lightly feathering the brakes to increase regen like on the Prius, i can get the same effect with just the "gas" on the Leaf.

in eco, the Leaf drives kinda like a Prius in "B" mode so when i switch to the Prius its kinda like "freewheeling" when i lift my foot off the accelerator half expecting regen to slow me down rather quickly, its a bit of a shock

1 person likes this.
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find our Civic (2008 AT) to be much more sensitive since I'm used to driving in Eco. Acceleration up to speed in the Civic is efficient between 2000 and 2500 rpm so it's not too bad, but sometimes I go above 2500. Biggest annoyance is all the gear shifts. I much prefer the Prius' single-geared transmission. ;) I find our Civic braking less sensitive and I have to press the brake harder if I need to brake hard (which I avoid).

7. PearlJammer

PearlJammer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Ah, the LS 430. I once had one. Fantastic car. Just coddles you. If only it didn't run on premium and get under 30 mpg.

8. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With my LS averaging 24.9 MPG and my Prius averaging 48 MPG, I still get a pretty good fleet average.