1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Smell from vents

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Burntdough177, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Burntdough177

Burntdough177 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and wanted some advice. I have a strange (musky) smell coming from my air vents when i turn on the air. I was told by the dealer that this could be mold growing inside the vents because I use the AC a lot. Has anyone experienced this with their cars? Is there any cure for this besides going to the dealer? they told me that they can partial get rid of this by spraying a chemical into the vent but they cannot guarantee that it will work. Thank you

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Search on here for threads on this subject. There have been many good threads on here with good recommendations of what to do to get rid of mold and mildew around the AC coil.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you try the search button?

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well discussed issue with the Gen II and Gen III Prius. I have the same issue and recently asked the dealer about how to deal with it. He, basically, said that none of the current treatments are worth the money for the results they deliver (and that was from a dealership!).

There are ways to minimize the smell and the mold. A few minutes prior to stopping and shutting down the car, you should run the vents without the A/C on. The warm air will dry out the vents and give the mold a less hospitable place to grow.

There are some people who've tried drilling small holes into the A/C box to spray a chemical in there and I think they've had success. The Critic was going to experiment on this last summer, I don't recall his results.

5. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I almost always do this...it also saves a bit of energy and you still get some cooling effect from the residual "coolth" in the system.

If it really is bad I'd try spraying a diluted bleach mist into each vent a few times when the car is off.

Mike

6. Burntdough177

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Has the bleach worked for you.? how often did you do it? and wouldn't the bleach smell be over powering?

7. Burntdough177

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know you said the warm air should help.... what if i just run the heater before for a few mins before i get out of the car? would that help?

8. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you change out your cabin filter?

9. Burntdough177

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yes. Just changed and even used one of those over the counter spray cans. But no luck.

10. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you check your drain plug? It's not really a plug, but sometimes you can adjust it, so it can drain better. You can even spray a disinfectant / air sanitizer in it.

11. Burntdough177

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No i have not ... after reading all these posts i am starting to question if it is working or if it is clogged up. i am not really sure where to find it or how to adjust it... is it as simple as sticking a coat hanger in there to see if it is clogged?

12. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is simple...do not use coat hanger, might punch a hole in the coil. Try using the inside of a pen, the plastic ink refill, or something like that.

13. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I checked with the Critic, he never said he didn't complete the project of de-odorizing his A/C. It was a chemical cleaner that you spray up through the drain "plug". Like mine, his smell is getting worse.

Running warm air through your vents will help. For my car....

1) If I just run the vent, no smell.
    2) If I just run the A/C, no smell.
    3) If I run the A/C, and turn the A/C off to run the vent.......musty, dirty gym socks smell.

14. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are some shots of the area I suspect the evaporator coil box is located. I've also included a pic of where the drain tube is as I located it during my Dynamat project. How I solve the vent odor problem is to cover it up with a "Little Tree". It works for about a month.
    Maybe The Critic can confirm if drilling in the area I suspect is near the top of the evaporator coil, it would be possible to inject coil cleaning foam using an plastic extension tube followed by a rinse. Fan and filter box 001.JPG Fan and filter box 002.JPG Fan and filter box 003.JPG Prius G3 evaporator coil box drain.JPG

MPGnutcase and evpv like this.
  15. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Prius is 4 years old today. Live in Florida. Early Last Spring I had a very moldy smell from the AC. Tried many of the DIY methods noted here and other postings. Nothing really worked. Before the issue - I never shut down the AC before parking in warm weather, so I'd guess the warm/cool environ welcomed the mold etc. I called my local dealer - they had an AC service that uses some sort of airborne chemical that circulates thru the ventilation system and rids the system of mold/mildew. I think it cost about $70. Must say, I'm a thrifty guy and like to DIY, but I would never try again - to fix the mold issue myself. I have not had the issue since and my vents smell clean since the service. IMO, $$ well spent. BTW, now I always try to shut off the AC a minute or so prior to shutting the car and vent system down.

16. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    same issue here. perhaps i over looked it but i think you might also want to consider running with the AC off ANDD using outside air before turning the car off. The outside fresh air opens a vent which should also help to minimize the smell.

17. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The bleach smell will go away, while the other smells won't unless you do something. I haven't tried this...I just heard it on a car talk show.
    But I've used bleach on household mold.

Mike

18. KyleT

KyleT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bleach as well as Lysol can kill mold effectively but please do not try to spray them into your car's venting or AC cooling system. They are extremly corrosive to metals.

19. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my recent trip down to Florida, I noticed a lot of "organic stuff" on and in many car's intake screens. It's impossible to keep all debris out, but it might help to try to keep the air intake as clean as possible. In that moist climate it probably doesn't help to accumulate a lot of that.

20. Burntdough177

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i tried the A/C off the whole day today and just ran air, it seem to be less bad smell by evening time.... not a fix but at least if i know i'm going to have people in my car then i can do this the day before. lol