1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Transmission Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gmcneil05, May 22, 2012.

1. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Okay just to start I know it's not a normal trans with a fluid filled torque converter but it's still a trans. I got in the car today and had to move it a few feet and i put it in park and got out leaving the car on. Well just as I put it in park the motor started as normal, but it was at the exact same time as I was pushing P. The car rocked a little as normal but didn't give it a second thought. Got out, got back in selected D and when I stepped on the gas it was lagging, like a turbo motor would do. I thought it was just my imagination, then when stopped at the edge of the road to pull out and stepped on the gas again I knew something was definitely off. Acceleration was normal but when I let off the gas to maintain speed the motor RPM staid up. I mean the throttle wasn't stuck. The transmission released but the RPM staid up and I was getting 24 MPG leveled off at 55. I then let completely off the gas and put the car in N and the motor shutoff like normal and I turned on a side street and put it in P and turned the car off. Started up fine and drove like normal. I would also like to mention the battery had all of the blue bars on the battery, one down from green and no warning lights the entire time. I just don't know whether it was a fluke from me putting it in park like that or what.
    Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like a fluke.

Tom

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on car?

Whats maintenance like? Have you changed trans fluid and more importantly the Inverter coolant?

Was your car vin on the Recall list for Inverter Coolant pump?

When was the last time you cleaned the throttle body?

4. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    115,000 miles. I bought it with 107,000 on it. Trans fluid was changed at 100,000 according to records by the previous owner and The recall was done 5,000 ago. I haven't had the throttle body cleaned but like I said after the car was turn off and back on it was fine so it must of been a electrical glitch, but I would like to clean the throttle body. Is there directions somewhere in a thread for doing that.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is very similar to the driveability problems for an overheated hybrid battery: hesitation at a stop, and low MPG. Could you hear the fan running in the back?

6. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes I could hear the fan and I guess that could be the problem but I don't know why. The car had been parked in the shade and the AC was on while I got out so it definitely wasn't hot in the car, but I guess anythings possible. I would think the car would act more like the battery was low like it had been sitting with the AC on for a while but like I said the battery was up where it normally is and it holding the RPM up seemed very strange and when I turned the car off and right back on it went back to normal.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe you should clean the cooling fan to the battery, they can get clogged up. make sure the intake vent by the rear right seat is clear.