1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Vibrations From Engine (Possibly?) While Riding Brakes In Slow Traffic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Barcode, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Barcode

Barcode Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I tried to search but didn't come up with much that was similar.

Today I had the A/C on and got stuck in traffic because of a draw bridge. Was sitting for about 10 minutes before we got moving again, but it was still very slow because there were 3 merges going on at the same time, so about 2-3 mph max. My lane was slightly downhill so I was lightly riding the brake and I started to feel quite a bit of vibration or rumbling from what I believe was the engine. If I had to describe it, it was almost like a constant and quick start/stop of the gas engine, but perhaps a little rougher. Once I got moving beyond this merge point I didn't feel the vibrations again. The electric motor was at about 2 bars during the time I was feeling this, no warning lights of any kind came on. Anyone experience this before or know what might have caused it to happen?

Thanks.

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The ICE was just starting and stopping for charging the battery. You will also noticed that after a long period at low battery and then high speed travel resumes, the car runs like crap for a bit and it seems there is no power for a while, then it goes back to normal.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you have your a/c on quite hard at the time?