1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Vibrations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alexstarfire, Sep 1, 2007.

1. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

This one has me stumped since it only occurs when I first start my car. The basic problem is that right after I start my car, basically just the first turn, when I turn the wheel it vibrates. Not sure how to really explain it, though I'm sure a video would make it quite clear, but it's like it keeps slipping, it's not, or like it just doesn't want to turn. Actually, I just thought about power steering, but I can't find anything in the manual about power steering fluid. I only really thought of this since my friend had to go add some to his car a little while ago. Any way to check and see if I need more, for whatever reason.

I can say that this only happened since I got my new tires, but the reason why I don't think it's that is because it only happened right when my car is started and not just whenever I'm moving slowly, sub 10MPH. Hmm, I'll have to go check my tire pressure once the tires cool down a bit.

Any other ideas?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Sep 1 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]505483[/snapback]</div>
    This is a well known Classic Prius problem. There is a TSB on it and you are probably covered under warranty (a warranty extension by Toyota). Get thee to a dealer.

JeffD

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Sep 1 2007, 02:00 PM) [snapback]505499[/snapback]</div>
    There were two types, only one was a problem (hence the TSB).

The "vibration" symptom was the rare one, where the steering-wheel would violently shake all by itself without the car moving. The need for replacement was obvious.

The other was just a soft thump while you turn. It slowly fades away as the parts wear and can be lessened by not taking advantage of the super-tight turning radius. Repair isn't necessary.

4. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Doesn't sound like either one of those since it's not a thump, and the vibration happens on the turn out of my driveway.