1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stripped screw in key fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by juneandtraci, Nov 27, 2014.

1. juneandtraci

juneandtraci New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently attempted to change the battery in my 2006 prius key fob ( Had purchased this used in 2010 and this is the first time I had to change it ). Followed the instructions on how to do this without any problems until I reached removal of the 4 screws from the inside battery plate. 2 of the screws are stripped ( apparently from a previous battery change?) and even though I used the right phillips #0 screw driver I cannot get these out . Anyone have any suggestions? . Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Use a drop of super glue to hold the screwdriver in place? There shouldn't be that much torque on the screws.

You can drill it too, but you might damage it

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that I would try a tiny screw extractor with an electric drill set to the "reverse" position. Hopefully that will not cause damage to the square plastic battery cover.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, so technically it's the screw head rounded out rather than the thread stripped.

I find that when a small phillips head is messed up like that, a small flat blade screwdriver can often do a better job of gripping it than the correct phillips driver can. If you have a set of small flat blade jeweller screwdrivers then go through them and see if you can find one that is just the right width to get a grip on it. This technique has worked for me many a time.

ftl likes this.
  5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Need to define the problem better.
    The above suggestions are good ( except maybe for the superglue one) IF the problem is that the slots in the screw head are rounded out.

If, however, it is the actual screw threads that are stripped, thereby causing the screws to turn but not back out........
    Then the solution often is to simply start prying the case halves apart to put pressure on the screws as you turn them.

WilDavis likes this.
  6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good tips! …however it might be the threads of the plastic housing which are stripped, in which case the holes may be fixed by inserting the end of a tooth-pick (or a splinter of wood) soaked in Elmers (or some other) wood-glue, and then re-use the original screws (cabinet maker's trick for fixing broken hinges) hope this helps - Wil

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That is actually what I meant. The screw threads exist on both the male part and the female part.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WilDavis and ftl like this.
  9. juneandtraci

juneandtraci New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry , It was actually the heads of the screws which were stripped so I could not get a grip. Thanks for all the information. I was going through Albuquerque last Friday and stopped at the dealer there , and the parts person was able to get it open with their screwdriver ( don't know which size he used) . I had tried the flat head screwdriver trick and unfortunately it had not worked so am glad they were able to change the battery . I was charged less than 5 dollars for this ( had read other posts which indicated it cost up to 40$ and one post indicated that the dealer would not even do it!), so I was pleasantly surprised. Kudos for that dealer and I will definitely give them my business in the future.