1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Struggling with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, but want to!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bnaccs, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ramps are very convenient, particularly the plastic ones that don't weigh much. Ramps don't lift a Gen III Prius quite high enough that the oil-change "hatch" on the lower engine cover can swing forward without bending it a little to clear the ground. It's not a big deal, just a potential surprise. And if you do your own oil changes, go get the right cap wrench for the oil filter cover, either from a Toyota dealer or from an on-line source (Assenmacher 64mm 14 flute wrench).

Epic Gen III oil change thread: Oil Change 2010 Prius - do it yourself | PriusChat

2. wanaset

wanaset Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota recommends oil changes at 10k miles yet the complimentary maintenance plan requires them at 5k. After 25k miles I am planning on changing my oil every 10k miles.

3. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd say more engines have been ruined with improper oil changes than extended changes. I'm a user of Mobil 1 EP and am fine with anything under 15k miles. I really don't care if the car lasts more than 500,000 miles anyway. Lol

4. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 2010, the 10,000 mile oil level is still within 1/4 inch of where it was when they filled it.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In Canada the interval is still 5000 miles (8000 km). I wouldn't doubt your Colorado winters are worse than lower mainland British Columbia, Canada. I'd stick with what you were doing, just for peace of mind.

FWIW, Our previous Honda Civic Hybrid had Maintenance Minder, that seemed a bit more than just a mileage/time counter, (maybe monitoring engine rev's, coolant temp, number of starts, and similar?): the oil change interval typically came up around 8500~9000 km's (a bit over 5000 miles).

6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure where you're getting that from. At 5k they are pretty much only suppose to rotate the tires.

7. wanaset

wanaset Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was under the impression that they also did an oil change at 5k. Not certain how I came to that conclusion. Nevertheless, my apologies.

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not worries.

9. camry25

camry25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct me, but if gasengine is shutoff half the time, it runs less and and go longer. Also diference 5k and 10k (recommended) is just the cleanliness of the engine. Manufacturer recommendations usually are based on testing.

10. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My old camry years ago was on a 50,000 mile oil change interval with top offs occasionally when the oil light came on. It ran perfectly for 190,000 miles. I think we tend to get a little obsessed with this sort of thing.

Bawb Hoss and markabele like this.
  11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That may be true but does it explain why in UK/Europe the oil change interval on the Prius from day one has always been 10,000 miles Gen1/2/3.

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  12. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Apparently, motor oil quality standards have been higher in Europe, so 10K there has been OK. There's also the matter of Toyota being successfully sued recently about oil sludge build-up in their engines, so Toyota has been reluctant to extend oil changes to 10k here.

Another good question: why are the oil change intervals still 5K in Canada?

13. enigma88

enigma88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the routine maintenance checklist that my dealership gave me along with my owner's manual, I should only change the oil every 8,000km (6 months) for the first 3 oil changes...then every 16,000km (or 12 months) after that. I have a 2011 Prius (and live in Canada).

Is this because newer cars require less frequent oil changes?

14. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's fascinating. First three oil changes every 4800 miles, perhaps intended to flush out the engine fabrication materials, then every 10,800 miles thereafter. Look at your Canadian Prius maintenance manual and let us know what it says. I thought the Canadian models had a 5000 mile (8330 km) change interval.

15. enigma88

enigma88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to this Owner's Manual Supplement (warranty, maintenance & roadside assistance information), the oil changes are every 8,000 km (6 months) for the first 3, then every 16,000km after that. However, I did notice that in between each official oil change is a maintenance service which takes place 8,000km after each official oil change. Would this maintenance service also include an oil change? Then you indeed would be correct! =)
    IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0815.JPG
    The supplementary manual is generic so it applies to all 2011 models not just the Prius.

Edit: So I checked the Toyota website, and the maintenance service does include "replace engine oil and filter". Xtime Menu Manager

16. Yannick

Yannick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm rather surprised that a Prii in, say, Alaska, can go twice as long between oil changes as my Toyota Prius in Toronto. But all the Canadian paperwork on a 2012 Prius points to 8000 km / 6 month oil changes forever, and that's what my dealer sticks to. Does it put your warranty at risk if you follow the American interval?