1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stupid question: Best way to drive Prius thru water on flooded roads?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Skateruk, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Climate change is causing all sorts of weather extremes worldwide. Here in the UK, we are experiencing prolonged heavy storms leading to flooding in coastal areas and around river flood plains. I don't intend to drive thru water for obvious reasons! However, if it can't be avoided, are there any steps that can be taken to minimise problems, or is it a case of DO NOT DRIVE IN WATER FLOODS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I live in a state that is predominately forest, and in a town that is next to a river, our town's only road follows the coarse of the river. It floods on a fairly regular basis.

The general rule of thumb here, seems to be that when your looking ahead at the water in front of you. To look for passing logs. If there are logs floating across the roadway, then it is likely too deep.

In a forest like this, there is a lot of lose wood on the ground. Trees are blown down with every passing storm. It does not take much water to get logs floating.

:)

I am not sure if this has any bearing on climate changing. Our climate has not been very consistent since man began recording the climate.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Turn around, don't drown! That's our public address catch phrase.

You can't tell how deep water is by looking at it, especially if it's muddy or distorted by motion, or currents. There could be a sinkhole under the water, the entire road surface may have washed away, etc.

Also, moving water may look deceptively benign, but is actually tons of force that can easily sweep away most objects in it's path except deeply rooted trees and well anchored structures.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go slow, no more than 5-10MPH if its more than an inch deep, to keep from hydroplaning and to reduce splashing into the engine bay. We had a pretty bad storm that lasted a few days last year that left standing water on the road for most of my commute. Most was no more than a couple inches deep, but there were puddles that were probably 4-6" deep. Prius didn't seem to mind, other than crappy mileage. I personally wouldn't do any more than 6" unless its a life or death situation. And by 6", I mean 6" on flat ground, not "It looks like 6"" in a low area of the road.
    Note: 1" = ~2.5cm.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just use a little common sense, really.
    NEVER be the first one to cross. NEVER.
    If nobody else is going across, neither should YOU.

If others are crossing, pay attention to the kind of vehicles they are in
    and how high the water comes up on the side of the car.

If the only vehicles going across are jacked up pickup trucks and semi-trailers.........
    well, what do YOU think about the chances of a Prius making it ???

If the water comes up to near the hub on other normal cars, that's too high.

If there is debris floating in the water that is big enough to SEE.....that's too much water.

6. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have only driven very slowly in high waters. I open the door and if it gets up to the door sill I back out.

7. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What he said /\ /\ /\

But if you really really have to, take it slow and make sure the exhaust pipe doesn't go under!! That's when the problems start.

If you have loads of EV charge but might be brave to try it on electric through the deepest parts but just be careful.

As a warning I'll relate a funny about a friend who drove through a flood thinking he was getting one over everyone else waiting at either side. When he was half way the road dipped down 3 foot under a railway bridge! Next thing he knew was water around his windows, water pouring in via the air vents and having to climb out of the sunroof.

Having lived and worked in York where it floods ALL the time, the answer to driving in flood water is CAREFULLY.