1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stupid tire pressure sensor light!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Prius Borealis, Dec 21, 2010.

1. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad it's resolved. Sounds like a good reason to invest in an air compressor so that you can save yourself time by checking and inflating the tires yourself. If that doesn't solve the light issue, then you take it in. It seems that most of the light issues are due to low pressure, so a quick check and adjustment of that is a good starting point even if you don't expect it to be the issue.

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I'm glad the problem is solved, but it doesn't make sense to me. When you pressed the RESET button, that reset the minimum acceptable pressure to about 75% of whatever pressure was in each tire. It should have turned off the light. Maybe there is some minimum pressure that you can't go below?

It smells to me like the garage broke a sensor when they changed over the tires. When you finally got them to fix it, they replaced the broken sensor. The "low tire pressure" report could just be a smoke screen for their error. If all they really did to fix it was to add air, then they set the pressures below the minimum value at the original tire swap.

Again, I'm glad the problem is solved. But the story means that they either messed up by setting the pressure too low initially, or they broke a sensor and wouldn't admit it.

In any case, I'd recommend that you get a tire pressure gauge. Record the pressures for future reference. Next time the light goes ON, you'll be able to tell just how much pressure has been lost in each tire. If one loses significantly more than the rest, then it has a slow leak that you may want to get fixed.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a minimum pressure, but to get there the tires need to be seriously soft.

Tom

4. Bob.H

Bob.H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought when I pumped up my Prius tires to 44 front and 40 rear then reset the TPS, that it effectively changed the range of those sensors. When the temperature turned cold here we got a pressure warning and one rear tire was down to 30 PSI. Pumping them back up fixed the problem. No warnings now for over a month.

Now I have a story about my fleet work truck. It needed new tires and a company approved garage was used to replaced them. Next day they looked very low and squishy. My cheap stick gauge showed them very low for 40 PSI tires. I took it back and demanded 40 PSI in them and they told me that is what was in them and my old gauge was bad. Well I pulled out a couple of nice old dial gauges from my racing days and what do you know. 23 PSI. That shop was under inflating tires for everyone.

Bob