1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sub to Stock Unit? Not trying to beat a dead horse!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by MrSteveB, Jun 4, 2014.

1. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys I've been searching and reading all day but I still can't find some posts to answer a couple of questions I have. Help would be appreciated. I'm going to do the cubby fiberglass sub box. I already have everything but I'm trying to figure out if I should link to stock HU or go with the stealth install. A couple questions.
    1. Can I hook up the aftermarket unit to the stock HU as an auxiliary so I lose no steering wheel controls? I know about the Crutchfield Factory Integration Adapter, but that looks like it's for more of a full switch!
    2. Will a 4channel to RCA converter work with the Prius to tap into the speaker wires for the connections?
    3. Do I need a tone converter to drop those signals down to low range sub levels? (not sure how that one works)
    4. When playing music with the sub running from the 12V battery, will the car kick back on to charge that battery when it's getting low? I don't know if the 12V and the hybrid batts work in tandem.

I will do a full write up of my project once it's done to help other people answer similar questions in my situation. I'm not a newb to electronics, but this will be my first time trying to tap into speaker wires rather than using RCA hookups off an aftermarket HU.
    If it comes down to it, I will just install the stealth HU and use those RCAs for the sub.
    Thanks

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    definitely get another head unit unless you like poor sound quality. with a metra axxess kit, you will have full use of steering wheel buttons. the ice does charge the 12v battery, so that is no problem. the only thing which you might not like is the display will say the audio is off since you are not using the oe head unit. also the oe door speakers are some of the crappiest speakers you will ever see. if you change the door speakers you may find you don't even need a sub unless you really like to blast the bass.
    if you only want the sub, some power amps have speaker level inputs, otherwise you will need a converter, but you won't need to hook into all 4 channels, only the rear.

3. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Shovlhed, looks like I'll grab a new deck after all. I'll def check into replacing those front speakers too. The JBL seemed to sound okay to me but I've become contempt with that system. I have always been a bass head so to have a sub in the back would compliment my taste as well. I've been using the same P3 for years and it's traveled with me from car to car, it's about time I get it back in this car. I'll probably stick with my current amp, so with that being said do you recommend any converters? I've seen the Scoshe one, but it really looks cheaply made.

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I can't recommend a converter cause I haven't used one in at least 15 years. I'm sure crutchfield can hook you up. if you have the jbl though its a whole different ball of wax. the head unit and amp are integrated. I think there is a way to change the jbl head unit and use the oe amp, otherwise you'd have to rewire everything. that sounds like a giant pita.
    I had thought about a sub, but since I changed my head unit and speakers, I find I have enough bass to vibrate the rear view mirror when the bass guitar hits a good low note. I have played bass for years, so I do like my music bass heavy.

5. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No longer interested in the converter. I've always wanted Sirius XM in my car so I'm getting a Kenwood X998. I do have the JBL system in my car so I'm compiling a list of things I need. A wire harness, a PAC Tato, a XM receiver cord and antenna, and an amp wire kit for the sub.
    When buying an XM ready HU am I correct in thinking I need this
    or do I just need the antenna? The wiring for these harness' and the PAC and the ability to control the radio from the steering wheel still looks like a nightmare..