1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subwoofer (Kenwood KSC-SW10) install feedback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by donwon19, Apr 9, 2008.

1. donwon19

donwon19 New Member

I just picked up my '08 Touring/Pkg 6 from a local custom audio shop, who did this install. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Great sound and excellent bang for the buck. I picked up the sub on eBay for ~$150 (includes shipping) and the install (with remote shutoff) was $100. I am more than happy with the results. I highly recommend this addition.

2. NOVA-Prius

NOVA-Prius Superbad Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Where did you install it? What is the "remote shutoff"? Can you provide pics? I'm asking because I bought the same subwoofer but haven't had it installed yet. Thanks in advance for the additional info.

3. Yankees251

Yankees251 Black Touring HI Package

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interested in what settings you have on the control for sub and settings you have set on Sound on radio? I installed sub as well and am not as impressed.

4. tombellanca

tombellanca New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm considering this sub as well.
    Is the default installation location in the trunk in that space above the spare, under the folding trunk shelf?
    Any issues "hearing" it with things in the trunk?

Any comments on experience/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

5. A Former Member 2

A Former Member 2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    any updates on this? im looking to install under my passenger seat...

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have read that this sub is thin enough to be fitted under the passenger seat.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I put this model under driver's seat in 2001 Prius. Good results. The remote shutoff means you provide its 12v power from some 'big' supply line (that can be always on). You also connect a sense lead to a 12 v line that is only on when the ign is on. This way it draws 0 milliamps (or maybe 1) when the ign is off.

These requirements, plus speaker-level audio sensing, means that many will be looking for a pro install not DIY.

It is not a home hi fi quality unit, but you've probably guessed that from the price. When driven too hard, distortion is high. But if you are looking for a subtle increase in the first octave, as opposed to vibrating license plate frames, it does a good job.

As with any auto subwoofer, you will find out that many FM stationd really boost the bass in their signals so you have to dial it way back when using those sources.