1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden braking, LCD display goes out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by theclarinetguy32, Oct 9, 2015.

1. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Posted this similar topic a couple months ago (here). Although the comments for that thread leaned towards something being wrong in the wiring behind the brake pedal, I can't see anything abnormal.
    (2007 model)

For a slight re-cap, first time I had to hit the brakes suddenly, the front 12V plug went out. Alright, thought that was a bit odd, but continuing on.
    Second time was a few years later, earlier this summer actually. Had to hit the brakes fairly hard to avoid hitting an idiot dashing across lanes. Entire MFD, radio, cig plug, the whole front works went out. Got online and after a bit of searching found a post saying to check the ACC-B fuse. Sure enough that was it.
    So now we're at the third time. Same thing, sudden braking, ACC-B fuse blew. Replaced it, started up the car, blew again. Replaced it, started up the car, blew again. so now I'm at 3 25A fuses that have blown in the past 2 hours, 2 of them within 60 seconds of the car turning on.
    One thing I did think was kind of interesting is when I turned the car on, I could hear various noises which sounded like electrical components doing a startup sequence, then it blows. The only thing I have in that front area is a tiny 12V camera, nothing else plugged in at all.

This car has had enough quirky things go on that right now 'it's riled up' and past experiences have shown letting it sit for a while tends to smooth things out. Bordering on car voodoo yeah, but I've got nothing else to explain it at the moment.
    Worst case is after an evening of cooling off it still blows fuses, then I have no radio, display, clock etc.
    Was thinking I would drive this thing until at least 250k miles or more like I've heard some people do, but with odd things going on like this I'm starting to wonder when these glitches are going to cross the safety barrier and critical components start going haywire long before I hit that marker.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm bad at sight reading but did we tell you yet the combination meter is a known issue you have 9 yrs to fix it under special warranty. Mine is just past the 9 yrs not showing any probs yet. IN your case I think I'd ask for the replacement before it turns 9.

..the other clarinet

3. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You mean the speed cluster display?

4. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the shop do that replacement in early spring.

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What sort of aftermarket electronics do you have and how are they wired in? My radio power wire worked its way out of my bad crimping job and I believe caused the same fuse to blow.

6. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have electronics but they are a direct tap off the battery with a isolated fuse system. I can turn them off and see. This would be the last car I would question how one thing that is completely separate will somehow cause interference somewhere else.

7. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    just tried it, all electronics off, 12V accessory unplugged, still blows.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how's the 12v health, and all connections?

9. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Battery was replaced last spring with a yellow top series. Can't imagine there would be an issue with it so soon.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    easy enough to check, and eliminate as a possibility. sometimes when the install, they don't always tighten sufficiently.

11. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I installed the battery myself actually. Will pull the battery check instructions and see tomorrow.
    I also would be interested in trying to see what things can be eliminated from this fuse, try and see what may be the thing causing it to blow

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I was talking about the speed display...so you did that