1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof installed! - 2007 Prius, Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by craigk, May 22, 2007.

1. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's my 2007 Prius with sunroof installed :D

Thank you to West Coast Priuschat member SaeGai06 (thanks for adding your pics too-see later in this thread) who provided me with enough specs on their installation to have a local installer (Minneapolis area) confident they could do the job.

The unit is a Webasto Hollandia 700 series, approx. 31 1/2" x 18 1/2". The installation flattened the front slightly and left the roof ridges at the rear of the sunroof unchanged. Fully electric, slides into roof, no drop in ceiling. Currently programmed to close automatically when car is shut off unless manually told not to do so. There's an inner cover you can pull forward to keep sun out when it's closed (slides into roof). Cost was $1,100 installed.

3/31/08 Update from my installer, Automotive Concepts. "After installing a few dozen sunroofs it was brought to our attention that if you push down on the roof it will "pop down" and stay. Because there is not enough room to put any type of brace across the underside of the roof we stopped installing on the Prius."

PM me with any questions, I don't always keep up with new posts on this topic.

6/22/07 MPG update after sunroof install: 54.1 mpg, 415 miles, best tank ever! No noticeable mpg hit from adding sunroof.
    7/16/07 51.8 mpg, 484 miles, with MFD off the entire tank.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

That looks really nice! I used to have a Honda element, and a lot of Element owners got Webasto sunroofs installed as there was no factory sunroof offered (for the front, anyway).
    Can I ask how much it cost? Also, let us know if there is any effect on your mileage.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good! Do you have any pics from the inside?

4. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Cost was $1,100 plus tax, reasonable considering how much work it was.

I don't expect any mpg hit in the city, I've already driven around today at 51+ mpg, but I'll report back on highway mpg.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ May 22 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]447761[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry forgot that one! Look back at the original post, I added it. Control buttons are in front of the glasses holder on the roof console.

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i want, i want!

6. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

That looks awesome!!! I might have to consider looking into getting one put into mine, I love the car so far, but def miss the sunroof!

Did they run channels to drain the water inside in case of a leak?

And how is it with it open at different speeds, alot of wind comming in? (buffering)

Thanks for posting the pics and info :eek: ! way cool!

:)

7. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  8. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I really like that too, and look forward to your confirmation that the highway mileage is not severely degraded, and low wind noise, etc. Do you think you could PM the "mystery Priaschat member" and see if he will share specs with others who want to take this plunge?

9. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ May 22 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]447777[/snapback]</div>
    ME TOO!!!!!!

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks great! The install looks pretty quality too. I'm going to have to consider getting one installed, once some more review comes back.

11. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ May 23 2007, 12:51 AM) [snapback]447857[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, there are drain channels with tubes running from the sunroof to the underside of the car.

There is no wind coming in at all, even at highway speeds!

The sunroof is surprisingly quiet at all speeds, I can hear the radio and have a conversation without any problem. At higher speeds (sometimes) I need to have (any) one window cracked open just 1/4" to prevent that ear pounding sound.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ May 23 2007, 01:20 AM) [snapback]447881[/snapback]</div>
    (updated)

The only spec I needed from SaeGai06 (he's not a mystery anymore!) was "Webasto Hollandia 700 series, approx. 32x18."

I had his auto broker contact his installer, but the broker (who was also very helpful) said that the installer, Coach Automotive in California (who from what I know has done an excellent job on their installations-I'm not putting their work down), wasn't interested in sharing any details. Find a good installer, show them pictures of a Prius sunroof like mine or SaeGai06, and I'm sure they can do the job too.

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

As I mentioned, a number of Honda Element owners had Webasto sunfoors installed. All of the reviews on them were very positive. Apparently they make a good product.

13. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One more top view photo added to original post.
    I'm all smiles driving my Prius with the sunroof :D (even more than before!)

14. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How long did it take them? The prius is my only car, so leaving it over night is really a pain.

15. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    me likey. any good installer in the New England area? :unsure:

16. Enoyls

Enoyls New Member

Very Nice!!!

My wife has already started asking if we can have a sunroof installed. So far I'm winning but after seeing those pics I might not fight as hard against it. :) Please update us on any mileage impact (if any)

17. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Looks Great, reminds me of the camry sunroof

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(craigk @ May 23 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]448098[/snapback]</div>
    Now I'm really green with Prius envy! :)

BTW, I checked out the Webasto site, there are quite a few models in the 700 series.
    Which one exactly is yours? The 730? Also, you should send them some pics of your
    Prius so they can add it to their catalog and perhaps get the specs down so that others
    can do the same. It'd be in Webasto's interest to promote their product and expand their
    market, I'm sure.

I'm also surprised that they use a different model on the Yaris, which has a roof line
    that's fairly similar to the Prius (I could be mistaken there).

Anyhow, thanks for the pics. Good job!

19. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    craigk,
    You have got to bring that down here for Hybridfest so we can check it in person! It does look like a very nice job. Have you come across anyone else with a Prius sunroof for comparison?

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What did it do to the headroom?

My hair already touches the overhead.
    No, I don't have 'big hair' or need a haircut. ;)
    I'm 6 foot plus.