1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swapped engine last night, now "transmission lock is abnormal??"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rogertbp, Apr 9, 2013.

1. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    swapped engine last night and now the car won't start and gives me the problem of "transmission lock is abnormal, please park car on a flat surface and apply parking brake."

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, in the hopes that you don't mind a little levity, and I'm sure more responsible responses are going to be along shortly:

I wouldn't doubt those two events are related. :LOL:

3. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there Mendel, actually the two are not related. the message is due to low voltage on the 12v battery. I have found not a single post that talks of this error code related to swapping the engine. only low voltage on the battery.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the charger on it all night and it still did not bring it up a whole bunch. the battery checked out at 12.88 but varies moment by moment. I am on the way to purchase a new one . when I shut the car off and began disconnecting the inverter and stuff, just for grins I checked the battery, guess what 11.56 volts and I didn't give it much thought until this afternoon. I put the charger on it and brought it back to 12.55 but still not enough.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A just charged 12 volt battery will give falsely high reading. A short drive, or turning on headlights for a couple of minutes (something I can never bring myself to do) is supposed to "burn off the surface charge".

6. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went down to Orielly and purchased the $241 optima and still no change. off to the dealer to have them get it started. cheaper than a battery maybe. no worries. cheaper than 4500 for them to change the engine that I did in 12 hours with swapping accessories. start to finish.