Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tail light replacement - aftermarket or OEM?

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubles' started by mariecee, Jun 23, 2012.

Social Buttons

1. mariecee

mariecee New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just cracked my rear passenger tail light. After watching some you tube videos I think I can replace it on my own.

Now I am debating between purchasing the tail light assembly form a number of different sellers.

Should I go with the OEM part or is it ok to buy an aftermarket part for this type of thing?
    How much of a quality difference can there be between different tail lights?

Here are some sample prices -

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) - genuine part from Toyota
    Toyota dealer = $354
    Toyota Parts Overstock =$266.34
    (
    LENS & BODY, REAR COMBINATION LAMP, RH. REAR COMBINATION LAMP for TOYOTA PRIUS (2010, 2011) (8155147111)
    )

Aftermarket (a generic part not manufactured by Toyota)
    Ebay seller carpartswholesale = $179.85
    (New Tail Light Passenger Side Clear red lens Prius TO2819146 8155147111 | eBay)
    Ebay seller americanmotorparts = $155.75
    (Passenger Replacement Tail Light 10-11 Toyota Prius 4DR Hatchback 8155147111 | eBay)

carpartswholesale said that the part doesn't come with bulbs or a wire harness, and in the videos I saw, that was included. So I don't have complete instructions on how to take the wire harness out of the broken part and use it in the new part.
  2. BSWEET

BSWEET New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it was me, I would take this opertunity to switch to full LED taillights. You can buy a pair of them for under $300.00.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  4. stream

stream Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

My concern with an aftermarket replacement part is how well it will match the other tail light. Have you tried rockauto.com? They were the cheapest when I bought engine air and cabin air filters.
  5. yeldogt

yeldogt Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    First thing: If you go with a genunine Toyota part do some aditional pricing to see what the part actually costs wholesale online and use that price as a starting point. It looks like that $266 price is for an OE part.

Many of the aftermarket lenses are for people wanting something different -- they don't look the same. Make sure if you order one it will match the OE lens exactly.

I have used aftermarket replacement lens assemblies in the past without any issues -- but they were simple asemblies ... not as complex as the Prius tail lamp