1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tax Incentives, Federal and state

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by larryakoch, May 10, 2012.

1. larryakoch

larryakoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What specific tax (federal and California) are available for my May 2012 purchase?

2. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    $2,500 federal
    $500 CA tax credit from what I hear (not confirmed)
    $1,500 CA Clean Air rebate

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't see the additional $500 CA tax credit. But in searching, I found this:

Drive Clean

There are additional rebates in certain cities (Corona and Riverside). Some companies offer incentives as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pardon my ignorance but how do the federal and state tax credits work exactly? Feel like such a n00b LOL

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A credit will lower the amount of tax owed.

To claim the Federal credit the taxpayer completes the appropriate form(s) and enters the amount of the credit on the 1040 form in the Payments & Credits section. The payments & credits are netted with the tax resulting in a refund or an additional liability.

Different jurisdictions will have different forms & requirements for documentation.

6. jenchen888

jenchen888 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is there a limit of the total credit of Prius Plug-In the government allows to claim? Do we need to do anything to lock in the tax credit before filing the tax return next year?

7. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone received their $1,500 CA Clean Air rebate yet? I was just wondering how long that took to process.

8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The federal credit for the PiP will be the lesser of $2500 or your total tax liability for the year. That is your total liability, not what you additionally owe or will get back when you file your taxes. When you file your taxes, you compute how much tax you owe, you then subtract what you have already paid in (like payroll withholding), and settle the balance one way or the other. The credit for the PiP is an adjustment on the taxes owed, and cannot reduce the tax liability to less than zero. On the other hand, you can tweak your withholding so that you over-withhold, and get the over-payment back when you file your taxes. Getting money back may feel good, but you are making an interest-free loan of your money to the government

9. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1 person likes this.
  10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The IRS determines whether or not a vehicle qualifies & the amount of the credit. This information is updated every model year.

The total credit can't exceed your tax liability. If your tax liability is $5000 you can buy 2 cars & claim 2 credits. If your liability is $2000 that's all you'll get out of one car.

The credit does not reduce the tax. it is added to the tax payments made throughout the year.

11. JamesCSmith

JamesCSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does anyone know if there is a income cap to qualify for the $2,500 federal credit? I am sure my tax liability is high enough. I just worry my AGI is too high.