1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla climbs to number 3 in world wide plug-in sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Aug 26, 2014.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2014 First Half – Best Selling Electric Cars Worldwide – All Models!

I don't think anyone is surprised the outlander outsold the volt to come to number 2. Volt fell to 5 bellow the prius phv that fell to 4. European sales helped Mitsubishi and tesla move above the volt and prius phv.

The retooling of the tesla factory, and resolving supplier bottlenecks should move it to number 2 for the full year.

hill likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! are some of these numbers based on the fact that some models are not sold worldwide? is the mitsy sold in the u.s.?

3. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Details On 2016 US-Bound Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    Mitsubishi has delayed the outlander from shipping to the US as it could not get some California ARB waivers. It should have a US version that complies shipping at the end of next year. They didn't want to launch in the US without being able to sell in california. The outlander phev, the tesla model X, and gen II volt should be the biggest change to the US market in 2015. The X should be avaible in the spring, but the volt and outlander likely will wait until november 2015.

The Chinese cars at number 8 and 9 on the list likely will not ever make it to US shores.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what makes the outlander so popular, price?

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The small SUV format is very popular in the US, not sure about worldwide though.
    It is also pretty much the only PHEV in that category.

The PiP would climb up the ladder if Toyota simply sold it in more places.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And that it exceeds the Ampera/Volt for EV miles, and is cheaper than the PIP and the Ampera/Volt.

It's selling very well here in the UK and will probably beat the PIP after 12 months sales. Looks a cracker.

[​IMG]

7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Looks nice, just not sure of the Mitsubishi brand and reliability. What's the EV range?

#7 -1-, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was wrong about range compared to the Ampera. The Outlander has a 32 mile range on the Euro cycle which compares to 50 miles on the Ampera and 15 on the PIP.

So real world that would be about 20 miles electric but it does have 200 bhp :)

9. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :eek:Only twenty miles EV, might be a deal breaker. Depends on the HV mileage?

10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Where is the Fiat 500e? I don't see it on the list, which is a big surprise. I've seen a couple of them cruising down the highway, so I know people are buying them. [edit] It appears Fiat only sold 166 plugins.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In California only.

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Totally and utterly and only California. Not Italy or Europe or anywhere, just California. Talk about a compliance car or what. No wonder they're not selling if Fiats heart isn't in it.

Sergio Marchionne asks customers not to buy Fiat 500e | Auto Express

austingreen likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they take a loss on every vehicle. how do they make money? volume.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For compliance car, you need to include the cost of the ZEV credits the company would have had to buy without selling the car.

15. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    And yet they are supposedly upgrading the 500e with more battery range. A salesguy even told me, "I recommend you wait for the next model." :eek: It seems odd they are investing in a car they consider a deadend.

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The engineers and marketing folks like the 500e. The top management does not.

Bean counters if they count the credits, good will, knowledge can act like its a good investment, or they can divide fixed costs over a short run and say it looses a lot of money. Its all an accounting game with fiat.

The 500e and other plug-ins may be the best way to comply with cafe and carb standards, but politically they want to roll back these standards. Fiat/Chrysler doesn't have the lobby that toyota does though, so it likely will simply fail.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow !!! I am. Jeeez! It isn'te even sold in the U.S. yet. Can you imagin what their sales would be if it'd been ready for the U.S. ?? I'd put Mitsu back on the map - just for starters. I sure hope the delay will mean they'll doll it up with more luxury. Our test drive on an option maxed out model resulted in a so so experience. Even so .... for a plugin SUV ... we'd go for it anway.

When it finally comes to the U.S. it's really going to take a bite out of Prius sales. We'll be unloading our Lexus hybrid SUV the moment it arrives at their local dealer. It's so disheartening our bucks couldn't go to Toyota ... but they're so wrapped up in their hydrogen project .... an SUV Plugin model will never happen. Heck ... they won't even do it for the V.
    20 EV miles is a deal breaker? Really? How do you explain anyone buying the PiP then ... with it's mere 11 EV miles. For cryin' out loud ... that's nearly double the PiP ... and it's an SUV!

#17 hill, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  18. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :eek:Back in February 2012, 11-14 miles EV wasn't that bad in a proven hybrid vehicle. Flash forward today, a 20 mile EV range PHEV SUV isn't appealing to me. Can't imagine a Mitsubishi "anything" will ever be considered as well as a Toyota Prius. I would consider waiting for something with more EV mileage. When I purchased my PIP in January 2013, I knew 11-14 miles was way low, but it was a start. More than almost everything on the road. How quickly we (me) get spoiled, wanting way more.

19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

You know the Outlander PHEV is a real 4x4, right? Even competed (and completed) in an Asian Dakar. 20 miles EV 4x4 SUV is a much bigger accomplishment than a 11 miles PiP. One of a few more reasons that those Nordic folks for buying them up compared to a PiP.

20. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A