1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla readies smaller, cheaper crossover, sedan by 2017

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by John H, May 30, 2013.

1. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Tesla readies smaller, cheaper crossover, sedan by 2017| Reuters

minkus, Jeff N and Silver bullit like this.
  2. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm a buyer at $30k with a dependable 250 mile range.

Blu-ray likes this.
  3. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks- any info on the what the range of this car might be?

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That car can be delivered to you no earlier than the year 2030 by my estimates.

Blu-ray, p00kienrayray and SageBrush like this.
  5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a Good deal

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's still at least 3 years out so any range is speculation.
    That said, I am guessing the base model will be between 150-200.

7. winnertakesteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hoping to get at least 8 yrs out of my c, and definitely hoping there'll be some compelling all-electric options by then. An affordable tesla with 200+ range and a more matured recharging infrastructure would rank pretty high on my list to be sure!

JMD likes this.
  8. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What assumptions are you relying upon for that estimate?

9. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Obviously lots of assumptions and wild speculation. The Model S is rated at 265 ideal miles and costs $80k. The Gen 3 is expected to cost $40k and have an ideal 200 miles range in 2017. So not even the Model S can give 250 dependable miles.

I am expecting the Gen 4 model to come out 5-7 years afterwards and increase ideal range to 300 miles which will hopefully give a dependable range of 250 miles as brucepmiller wants but it's unlikely the car will cost less than the Gen 3 model. Price usually creeps up.

So I expect the Gen 5 model to come out sometime around 2030 that will have range up to 400 miles and cost $40-$50k. The stripper model with the 250 miles dependable range might be sold for $30k.

I think I am too optimistic with the 100 mile range increases per half decade. The EV1 15 years ago had about the same range as the Leaf. So the increase in battery technology was eroded by increased weight and size of the Leaf.

10. kwillscherer1992

kwillscherer1992 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can count me in for this! Getting to take advantage of those supercharges? I am in.

11. kwillscherer1992

kwillscherer1992 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also the Model S is a pretty large vehicle, so hopefully a smaller, less expensive vehicles will have a slightly higher range than you suggest.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Call me a luddite, but I still think the general idea of big batteries in cars is stupid. Not stupid for Tesla at this time of being a toy maker for people with a lot of money, but stupid for mainstream production.

After all, most people have < 40 mile trips 99% of the time. For the most part in the US today, an EV is a second car in the family. I would hate to have to incur the costs and energy penalties involved in lugging around all that dead weight. Since Tesla and Musk are far from stupid, I'll take a contrarian position and say that the future 30k USK Tesla is talking about will have a much reduced range compared to their cars today, and it will be a GOOD thing.

3PriusMike and markabele like this.
  13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, you are a Luddite ;-)
    Actually, I understand your point.
    However, I don't see why you call the Model S a toy unless you also call BMW, Mercedes, high end Audis and such Toys as well?

Why have a 10 gallon tank in a Prius? You could save 50 pounds, at least, by only having a 5 gallon tank.
    Why have a passenger airbag when passengers are not the average?

Supposedly people that could do with 200 miles will buy the smaller 60kWh pack, rather than the 85kWh pack.

And even if someone buys the big pack, and never needs the full range. Their driving is still more efficient than any gas car, although not as efficient as other plug ins.

14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since everyone wants to speculate ...

I'll toss out a 250Wh/mile vehicle with a base 40kWh battery to arrive at a 160 mile range. An upgrade to a 85 kWh battery would yield 300+ miles.

mmmodem and SageBrush like this.
  15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, sounds right to me too. Just so we understand though, the 250 Wh/mile consumption presumes nice weather, non aggressive driving, and moderate speeds. On any lousy day of the year that range can drop to 100 miles.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

My speculation it will be designed for a smaller maximum pack than 85kwh. It all depends on where batteries are in 2 years when most of the design will get frozen. IMHO Tesla has a volume idea of what the pack should look like and that will set maximum size. If you want a bigger pack you buy an S. In 2017 there will be many more super chargers out there. I find it likely that a 70 kwh will satisfy most potential buyers. I expect tesla will find a way to make that pack much less expensive than today with improving battery technology.

John Hatchett likes this.
  17. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I really think the range extending battery trailer idea is brilliant. You have enough range for your daily commute built into the car. Should you need to go on a longer trip, you just hitch on the battery trailer. Doesn't have have to be a trailer, could be a huge hulking battery that is forklifted into your trunk. Don't know about the logistics though.

minkus likes this.
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The company that pushed for quick battery_swap went bankrupt this week.

I'm sure a host of alternatives will sprout up to service the single EV car owners who need occasional long distance driving. I personally think Nissan is on the right track by partnering with car rental agencies. In the same way that people drive their cars to the train station for 'park and ride,' I think the idea could be easily extended to an 'EV to ICE' for a long trip.

Using the best and cheapest tool for the job makes a lot of sense:

Bicycles for < 5 miles each way;
    EVs for urban transport or < 50 miles each way;
    ICE cars for < 350 miles;
    Trains for 350 - 1000 miles;
    Planes for > 1000 miles

dbcassidy likes this.
  19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I am up for.... [​IMG]

dbcassidy likes this.
  20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

For people that need it twice a year, 200 mile packs and superchargers along with the ability to rent cars is good enough.

For people that need to routinely go over 200 miles, then a phev is the best idea. Why not have the ice in the vehicle all the time if you are paying for it. PHEVs simply need to get better. I have hopes that in 5 years toyota or someone else will give you 40+ miles EV with a descent range extending engine at an affordable price and attractive package.

minkus likes this.