1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Driving a New Prius Today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jdkuehne, May 5, 2005.

1. jdkuehne

jdkuehne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi all,

I am going to test drive a new Prius today, and I am wondering if people would share their experiences with their Priuses. I would also like feedback about Toyota the company - For the last 13 years I've been driving a Saturn and they have been phenomenol. I'm having a hard time believing another car company can match or exceed their customer service. Go ahead- let me hear it.

Thanks
    jdkuehne

2. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

The one recommendation I would make is that you test drive the car on a freeway (if you can) before you make a decision. Some people dislike the way it handles with the sensitive steering and all.

As far as Toyota, I've been satisified. I really have nothing to compare them with though. The only cars I've bought new have been Toyotas.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I agree with kidtwist; also because there were complaints about the way the Prius Classic (2001-2003) accelerated when merging on the highway.

This is not a problem with the new Prius, regardless of whether it was a problem with the Prius Classic.

In terms of quality, take a look at the reliability/service ratings for cars in this years Auto Issue of Consumer Reports. Nobody disputes Toyota's quality record.

4. jdkuehne

jdkuehne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm back from the test drive, but the car had just come in to the dealership and was not inspected yet, so they wouldn't let me take it out on the main roads or highway.

I didn't notice overly sensitive steering during the drive, Kidtwist. Can you elaborate on that?

Thanks,
    jdkuehne

5. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota has always been the quality giant of the auto industry, rating top in customer satisfaction in almost every class. They understand better than anyone, IMHO, that "quality" is what the customer wants...which, most often, is reliability. Most of the lower-income friends I know drive used Toyotas with very few breakdowns ever happening.

6. yoda

yoda Member

The good: WAY too much to list.

The bad: NOTHING - but DO drive it on the freeway. I noticed the "wander" problem on my Prius when I first got it, but it disappeared over time. Either I got used to the sensitive steering, or the wheels wore in enough to eliminate the problem.

The ugly: Are you kidding? There's NOTHING ugly about my White Beauty.

8)

Yoda

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Surprise!

I'm a former Saturn owner. It's surprising how many Prius owners have previously owned Saturns.

The Good? The car. Just drive it. It feels so good.

The Bad? How long it actually takes to buy it and drive it off the lot. For me....it was hours of paperwork and then waiting while they finished preping the car before I could drive it home. And I hadn't had lunch. At 5:30 pm I finally told them please I'll take it dirty but I'm hungry.

The Ugly? For me....the financial guy they hand you off to after you've signed all of the paperwork. This is the guy I have to repeatedly tell no, I don't want extended warranty, no I don't want a lo-jack, no I don't want yadda yadda yadda. Then I have to listen to the pitch again and say no again. It can get quite ugly, especially when I'm hungry and haven't eaten all day.

But let's face it...there is bad and ugly every time you buy a new car. But the good trumps it all. It is soooooo good!

8. PaulS

PaulS New Member

I also owned a Saturn (Vue) before the Prius. But, unlike you, I really did not have a great experience with my dealership. I do think that the steering on the Vue was very much like the steering on the Prius. I really like the way it drives on the Freeway. In fact, I would simply call it very responsive.

The Good: 1) A lot of great features for the price. 2) Really fun to drive.

The Bad: It takes a lot of extra time every time I park it. When I come out to get in my car there is almost always someone waiting to ask me about it. I've just printed out some information that I now carry in the car to save me time!

9. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

LOL Godiva, sounds like my purchase experience. On top of that, it was parked on the side of the lot, facing the entrance. So, while all that waiting was going on, I was looking over my shoulder making sure nobody got in to try it out. People would come over and occasionally peer into the window, and I felt like a bulldog ready to bark.

10. coloradospringsprius

To give an idea of the good, I'm going to list everything I can think of that's not so good:

1. The front end tends to scrape on even minor dips.
    2. After three months, I'm still not quite sure where the front of the car is. (The good news: It's closer than I think, so the tendency is to end up too far from things, not bump into them.)
    3. At freeway speed, there's too much road noise to enjoy classical music on the standard sound system. Something with more percussion and less dynamic variation might work.
    4. The Prius' combination of high profile/light weight means you must be attentive when driving at high speeds in strong crosswinds.
    5. The gas gauge is notoriously inaccurate, and something about the Prius' gas tank design causes gas pumps to shut off prematurely now and then. This inconvenience is mitigated by the fact that you have a good chance of going 400 miles even on an underfilled tank.

These are all minor issues. Everything else about the Prius has equalled or surpassed my expectations. It's not a Mini, but it handles like a very nice sedan. There's plenty of pep, especially if you need to get past someone, or accelerate away from danger (as I had to a couple of weeks ago). It's surprisingly roomy and comfortable. The climate control is GREAT for a car of its class. Gas mileage has been everything we'd hoped for - and it will improve as the weather warms up. The blind spots are smaller than those on the 1981 Dodge Colt we drove to the junkyard after getting the Prius.

The Prius can actually change the way you think and feel about driving. For instance, I can no longer imagine owning a car that idles at stoplights. The whole idea is absurdly primitive.

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:51738252b2]The Prius is simply the smartest car on the road. [/font:51738252b2]

12. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is too bad you didn't get a highway test drive. The car is very good at merging and passing. There is no annoying "passing gear" pause. In fact, on any other vehicle you expect there to be a slight pause before the tranny decides that it needs to shift down, however with the Prius it is instant and smooth acceleration.

The vehicle has sensitive steering, which is basically a good thing, however you have to train yourself to understand it and then use it properly. The sensitive steering has been attributed to the electric assist system. You will not notice sensitive steering at city speeds, it just doesn't seem to show up there.

I hope you are convinced enough to want one.

13. jdkuehne

jdkuehne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you everyone who commented. I've got a lot of thinking (and another test drive) to do. Thanks!